Wheezing, coughing rooster.

birdiec

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2020
Hello all, new here :) ,
About 2 days ago my ~1.5yo buff orpington rooster stopped crowing. He was sounding very hoarse for maybe 2 days prior to that. Now hes very wheezy, very labored breathing, gasping, and l'm not sure if they're coughs or sneezes (I'm leaning toward coughs) but sometimes they're little squeaks and sometimes they are whole-body "violent"....but I've been watching him very closely these last couple days and theres no eye or nasal discharge at all. I've listened to his chest and theres no gurgling in there, just the wheezing/squeaking in his throat.
Could it still be something like CRD or bronchitis with out the discharge? Is gapeworm the best guess? I got a pretty good look down his throat and trachea but didnt see anything. I dosed him with fenbendazole today, just in case. (Found that advice here and on poultrydvc(.)com)
Thanks in advance.

Hard to know if it is virus, bacterial, or even fungus from mold without testing. Most antibiotics that work against bacteria and mycoplasma, are only available from vets or online at pigeon sites. Tylosin, doxycycline, and enrofloxacin are available sometimes, but they frequently sell out. Those treat MG/CRD. Enrofloxacin is Baytril and banned for chickens.

Since you are not seeing bubbles/foam or pus in the eyes and nasal drainage, I would treat as a virus, which is no antibiotics, but supportive care. Make sure ventilation in the coop is good and use of fans and making mire windows helps. Keep bedding clean and as dry as possible, keeping ammonia odors down by changing bedding.

I have gapeworm here in my flock. It’s been a battle. Your symptoms are classic for it and I lost my 3 yo rooster to it not recognizing that’s what he had. He was in an area I thought was clean. I’d get a stool sample for sure and worm with safeguard for five entire days at appropriate dosage. I messed up my dosing and I have resistant gapeworm now that has to be treated manually which is not pleasant. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom