Wheezing, Gasping, Liquid Poop

FinleyMcChicken

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
I posted last night about my almost 1 Barred Rock and after monitoring her all night I have a better list of symptoms so maybe someone could help diagnose her for me.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Barred Rock-almost one
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic, waddle down and with brown/black spots on it, liquid poop twice last night and this morning mostly all of it stayed on her feathers, not drinking or eating, wheezing by craning her head up and opening mouth, crop feels like there's pellet food in it still this AM, when laying down her breathing looks like she's bearing down, no egg since possibly Saturday.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? just started yesterday and got progressively worse as the evening continued
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Other birds are good.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea, can't tell if its a crop issue, respiratory, worm or egg!
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yesterday evening she ate some dried meal worms and kale before I noticed she was the one wheezing.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Clear liquid, the one time she made it outside her feathers it had a white spot in it but mostly clear
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? No food, just water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If I could find a vet in town I would, but looks like no one really treats chickens.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I've tried to get video but it seems to be too big to post, I'll try smaller and edit.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Currently in a dog pen isolated from flock

I'm a bit stumped. Almost seems like something she ate is stuck. The full morning crop is worrisome. Hopefully some others chime in.

Does she have roosters with her? (before she was isolated)

Has she ever been dewormed?

tagging a few others
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @rebrascora @azygous

No roosters-- and we hadn't dewormed yet! That's why I was thinking maybe gapeworm?

Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?

To me she is in respiratory distress.

Is she pooping? If she is, then she is not egg bound. She could have an egg higher in the oviduct, but I would suspect you are dealing with a respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma or something like Asperigillosis (have you encountered any molds?)

Full crop in the morning? She could have aspirated liquids and has pneumonia.

Gapeworm, I would think she would be coughing/hacking trying to dislodge them. Can you take a fecal sample to your vet for testing?

What treatment(s) have you tried?
Since she is in distress, I would not soak her. Do you have a bathroom you can place her in and get the room steamy? If she is having trouble with an egg, that may help, but she needs to be hydrated. With the breathing problems, that will be hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom