Wheezing hen, may be respiratory illness?

Jul 29, 2022
Hi guys. So one of my hens has a wheezing sound when she breathes. It sounds like when chickens labor right before they lay an egg. But it's constant. Now it is very hot here, it was 101 for three days this last week. I was out boothing at a festival during it, but when I returned home and took back taking care of the ladies from my fam, I noticed this hen and her breathing. She otherwise appears to be healthy. Pooping normal, no crust or oozing around her nostrils, beak is clear, no Ascites signs. She even laid an egg on Sunday.
I did some surfing around on the internet, read some forums and threads here as well. Seems like maybe a respiratory illness? In my five years of chickens I've never dealt with this before. I decided to give her a .5 cc shot of LA 300 on Sunday night. I also gave her a cool water bath which seemed to make her breath quieter, because she was very hot and upset about me giving her a shot, but the wheeze remains.
It's been 24 hours and she sounds the same. Just wanted to put out what I'm dealing with in case anyone has some ideas or experience in this.
From what I read seemed like I could give her another shot in 2-4 days after her first.

Hi guys. So one of my hens has a wheezing sound when she breathes. It sounds like when chickens labor right before they lay an egg. But it's constant. Now it is very hot here, it was 101 for three days this last week. I was out boothing at a festival during it, but when I returned home and took back taking care of the ladies from my fam, I noticed this hen and her breathing. She otherwise appears to be healthy. Pooping normal, no crust or oozing around her nostrils, beak is clear, no Ascites signs. She even laid an egg on Sunday.
I did some surfing around on the internet, read some forums and threads here as well. Seems like maybe a respiratory illness? In my five years of chickens I've never dealt with this before. I decided to give her a .5 cc shot of LA 300 on Sunday night. I also gave her a cool water bath which seemed to make her breath quieter, because she was very hot and upset about me giving her a shot, but the wheeze remains.
It's been 24 hours and she sounds the same. Just wanted to put out what I'm dealing with in case anyone has some ideas or experience in this.
From what I read seemed like I could give her another shot in 2-4 days after her first.
I should also say that my chickens are free range and I clean their house once a week right now

A video of the sound she is making might help. Does it sound like stridor? This video shows stridor, a sound made when they gets a small piece of feed in the airway:

Wheezing could be a sign of a respiratory disease. The LA 200 is a cattle antibiotic used as an injection once and then in 3 days if needed. Does she have any eyelid swelling, eye bubbles or foam, sneezing, or nasal drainage?

A video of the sound she is making might help. Does it sound like stridor? This video shows stridor, a sound made when they gets a small piece of feed in the airway:

Wheezing could be a sign of a respiratory disease. The LA 200 is a cattle antibiotic used as an injection once and then in 3 days if needed. Does she have any eyelid swelling, eye bubbles or foam, sneezing, or nasal drainage?
I couldn't get your link to work but I googled. I'm pretty sure I've heard that before, my rooster used to do that when he'd eat feed sometimes but it went away within a few minutes.
This seems like it's been going on for too long to be stridor. But here's a video of her, hope it works. Sorry if it's a little hard to hear her the others are noisy.
And no she appears healthy in every other way, no discharge. You'll see her face in the video. Also just for more info, I think she's about 3 years old.

She is still wheezing : ( she laid another egg for me yesterday and I threw it out because of the antibiotics withdrawal period, but though I'm glad she's still laying and getting around, I can tell it takes more effort for her with each breathe than it does for the others. Her body moves with each breathe.
Tonight will be 3 days since her shot of LA 300. I'm planning on giving her another shot this evening. I don't know if it will help but I don't know what else to do 😥

I have my hen doing this same thing as your Stridor! Just suddenly this evening! What do I do? What did you do?

Hi! My hen is doing this suddenly tonight! Your video is so helpful. What did you do to help?

Hi! My hen is doing this suddenly tonight! Your video is so helpful. What did you do to help?
I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't know that what my hen has was stridor. Stridor is usually just when they get a piece of food stuck in their airway. I hear my chickens make that cough/sneeze sound when they eat sometimes and then they work it out and are fine.
As far as the hen that I was discussing in this thread...I had to put her down. It was dreadfully hot at the time and she was always breathing so hard. I realized I didn't know when she was able to sleep...I felt horrible because it had been two weeks since she'd started with the sound...so I did a mercy kill. Since nothing I tried to do made her better.
I hope what your hen has is curable and much more simple. Best of luck

I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't know that what my hen has was stridor. Stridor is usually just when they get a piece of food stuck in their airway. I hear my chickens make that cough/sneeze sound when they eat sometimes and then they work it out and are fine.
As far as the hen that I was discussing in this thread...I had to put her down. It was dreadfully hot at the time and she was always breathing so hard. I realized I didn't know when she was able to sleep...I felt horrible because it had been two weeks since she'd started with the sound...so I did a mercy kill. Since nothing I tried to do made her better.
I hope what your hen has is curable and much more simple. Best of luck
I thought Stridor was your chickens name! Okay. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Fortunately it’s a nice 50 degrees right now and she isn’t open mouth wheezing/breathing. Actually she seems to be breathing normally now that she’s calmed down a bit. Maybe it will work its way out on its own.
Will keep a close watch.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom