Wheezing, no other symptoms.

agordon

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 10, 2010
We have a 2 year old cuckoo maran hen that we noticed wheezing and having loss of voice approx 2 weeks ago. She is still laying almost daily and perky. No sneezing or eye/nose symptoms. We separated her into a small isolated Coop with its own run immediately. We tried the natural treatments (garlic and apple cider vinegar in water, vitamins and electrolites, essential oils on feathers to open up airway, tried giving fresh herbs like oregano and thyme, but she refused those.) She just stayed the same. After a few days Vet RX arrived in the mail. We tried it in her water, on feathers and orally. No real improvement after 3 days. Continued VetRX and added tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder to her water without the vinegar. After 2 days she had improved slightly, but after 4 days she seemed exactly the same as before. I stopped treatment as it probably was not effective. Have been giving yogurt with extra probiotics and resumed vinegar and electrolites/vitamins in the water. Yesterday we got Tylan 50 injectable in the mail. I just gave the 3rd dose of 1/2cc subdermal in the breast, switching sides. Tonight she is a wheezy and gasping as ever. She is always less wheeze and sounds better in the morning. I plan to continue the Tylan 5 days.

No other chickens have come down with this. We have 21 chickens age 4 yrs to 4 weeks. I understand that they could be infected but not have symptoms.

Just looking from advice from those who have been there. I would rather not spend hundreds on vet bills. We are also going out of town next Wednesday for a week. So I would really like her to be better by then. Our chicken sitters are friends that like the chickens, but not chicken people.

I use Corid (Amprolium) 9.6% Oral Solution, Coccidiostat. 1 TBS to 1 gallon. Do it for three days refreshing the water each day. If the issue continues, do it longer. This might help. The person who I got my current flock from swears by the stuff.

Where do you get Corid? Our hen seemed somewhat better last night but was wheezing and struggling with heaving sides tonight.

2 year old cuckoo maran hen that we noticed wheezing and having loss of voice approx 2 weeks ago. She is still laying almost daily and perky. No sneezing or eye/nose symptoms.
Continued VetRX and added tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder to her water without the vinegar. After 2 days she had improved slightly, but after 4 days she seemed exactly the same as before. I stopped treatment as it probably was not effective.
Yesterday we got Tylan 50 injectable in the mail. I just gave the 3rd dose of 1/2cc subdermal in the breast, switching sides. Tonight she is a wheezy and gasping as ever. She is always less wheeze and sounds better in the morning. I plan to continue the Tylan 5 days.
I use Corid (Amprolium) 9.6% Oral Solution, Coccidiostat. 1 TBS to 1 gallon. Do it for three days refreshing the water each day. If the issue continues, do it longer. This might help. The person who I got my current flock from swears by the stuff.
Corid is a Coccidiostat and does not treat respiratory illnesses.

Tylan50 injectable can be given orally. Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. Unless your hen weighs 2 pounds you are under dosing her.
I suggest you go the oral route since Tylan50 injections are known to cause injection site necrosis and that's a lot of needles sticks over the course of 5 days.

Hopefully she will respond to treatment, but if you gave her the correct dose of Tetracycline with not much improvement, the cause may not be bacterial respiratory illness.

There is no sneezing, mucous or eye symptoms. Still laying eggs and perky.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying completely overnight and feel her abdomen below the vent for bloat or fluid.
Ensure there is plenty of ventilation in housing.

edited to add: The Correct Dose of 9.6% Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, NOT 1 Tablespoon.

Last edited:
We had a pullet that was wheezing and huddling in the corner. Turns out she has Wet fowl pox, though i doubt that is what this is, but better safe than sorry! If you want to, you can check inside her beak for wart like whatmachcallit. Hope she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom