wheezing, no other symptoms!

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
Well, this ones got me perplexed. "Rosemary Clooney" has been wheezing off and on for a couple of weeks now. I first brought her in, put her in the hospital cage for a couple of days. She was eating like a little horse and acting totally normal with no nasal discharge or bubbling eyes or anything else I have read about on here so I put her back in the coop. Yesterday I brought her in again, she's still wheezing but still acting normal. I put a cup (really about 2 cups) of pellets, scratch, and some grit in the cage last night and when I went to check on her, it was like 3/4 gone in a half hour. I gave her a HB egg and she ate some of that, not all but I think she was still full from the other stuff. I've ordered some Oxine as suggested by another BYC member and am waiting for it's arrival. In the meantime, any thoughts, anyone?? I'm at a loss and don't want to put her back in the coop until she stops wheezing. The weather here in CT has been crazy, teens one day, in the 50's the next, its been raining for about 24 hours now and the pen is gloppy and messy. The coop smells when the weather's warm but not bad, just a slight poop smell, not that ammonia smell I've read about.
hu.gif

) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR, age unknown but at least 6 YO and probably older, about 7 lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. wheezing
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. scratch, pellets, grit, and anything else I give them
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Oxine and would like to treat myself but will take to the vet if that is the general concenus
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings, DLM, in a large (8 X 12) coop with access to outside enclosed large pen

How does her comb look? Is it pale? Other than the wheezing, how does she act? Before you brought her inside, was she walking around normal or was she sluggish? I am wondering with her age if she might be having heart problems but please don't think that this is something I know a lot about. I am just looking at her age and the fact that she seems to not have some kind of illness. I am sure someone with a lot more experience will come along and help more than I can.
hugs.gif

thank you for answering! her comb looks great, normal red color, not sluggish, well, just normal sluggishness for an old, fat girl!
lau.gif
(don't tell her I called her fat.....or old). And moving around just fine. That's what has me stumped.
barnie.gif

not listless at all, oh, I guess that's the same as sluggish.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Rosemary is still wheezing but it does seem more labored today. Still everything is normal. I put food in and she pitched into it. I'm calling the vet. I ordered Oxine but it may be too late. She is older so I'll just see what the vet says (Dr. Z. I love her!) Oh, and this morning I put a touch of Vicks vaporub in a container and poured boiling water over it and sat with Rosemary with at towel over our heads, don't know if it helped her but my sinuses are clear! That's what my mom used to do when we had a cold. I figured it couldn't hurt.
This pic has nothing to do with anything except Miss Lydia wanted to see my two beautiful blue cochins, the darker one being the one Dr. Z. saved when she had an egg stuck!

17629_chloe_and_coco.jpg

Coco and Chloe

Sorry, don't have any ideas for you
sad.png

could be just a part of growing older .....
hu.gif

I see you're in CT .... you have a vet that will deal with chickens ? would it be possible to pm me with a name and phone number - it would be nice to have someone to call if/when I have chicken troubles .... I haven't found a vet in my area (near waterbury) - though I do have to admit - I haven't look really really hard, either
hide.gif

ANyway - hope you figure out why she's wheezing ....
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom