Wheezing quack/opening mouth duck

Babyquail

Chirping
Aug 17, 2021
Kentucky
Bought a new duck, and she seems healthy enough but instead of a quack she makes a wheezy noise, I’ll attach a video of it. I can’t tell her gender because of it, although she has no drake feather and is old enough she should. She also will stand there and open her mouth all the way like she is going to quack, but no sound comes out. Alternatively she can make the wheezy noise with her mouth closed, in place of a normal quack. Her breathing sound fine and she makes no other noises other than the weird quack, and overall seems healthy and feisty.

My duck had this happen. I never figured out what caused it because she passed away (due to another issue, I think, but I am not entirely sure about that). Have you done a general health check? I would check her throat for any damage, both inside and out, and look for anything that might be stuck, as an added precaution.

Bought a new duck, and she seems healthy enough but instead of a quack she makes a wheezy noise, I’ll attach a video of it. I can’t tell her gender because of it, although she has no drake feather and is old enough she should. She also will stand there and open her mouth all the way like she is going to quack, but no sound comes out. Alternatively she can make the wheezy noise with her mouth closed, in place of a normal quack. Her breathing sound fine and she makes no other noises other than the weird quack, and overall seems healthy and feisty.
How is your new duck doing now that she has had time to settle in? @Babyquail

How is your new duck doing now that she has had time to settle in? @Babyquail
Still can’t seem to make much noise, the only time she even can make a whisper of a sound is when my drake starts talking at her and she responds, but that doesn’t happen often or for long, and she still sounds quite and raspy wheezey. Because of that I’m still not sure on gender, but I have seen my drake try to mate with her ( Sometimes she runs, sometimes she doesn’t, and my boy isn’t the most “experienced”) she seems to be settling in fine though, just still sounds funky.

How old is the duck ?
Drakes don’t get the feather till around 4-5 months
It could be she is a boy and that’s the wheezy raspy voice you hear
Or she could have a bacterial infection as I had a young one once loose his voice almost completely cause he ate mouldy feed
My daughter was watching him for a week and cleaned his bowls but not the tray they sat in and a little feed and water mixed and caused mould
A course of antibiotics cleared him up and his voice came back but he was much younger at 6 weeks and still had that loud peeping sound
When a drake hits puberty they sound like a raspy like a frog in the throat
When ducks have eaten they will do open mouth with no sound to move the feed into crop
So if you notice this after that maybe all it is
Mine can be 20 mins later

Back
Top Bottom