Wheezing, rattling when breathing and swollen face. Please help

Anastatia_S

Songster
Apr 22, 2021
My 9 month pullet Hennifer has suddenly started wheezing when she breathes. She has been eating and drinking normally and has laid an egg today. Her breathing sounds very bad, she’s wheezing and rattling. The skin under her eyes around her “cheek” area has started to swell. I have contacted her vet but as a highly pathogenic strain of avian influenza is going around the UK, where we live, they are unable to see her. I am extremely worried about her. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Also, due to the avian influenza our chickens are currently in “flock down” and are confined to their run, which we have covered in scaffolding netting to prevent wild birds and droppings entering their run and possibly infecting them.

DE6F602C-2C2D-41D5-AA5A-F37F5FA07E41.jpeg
C3D8305A-019A-4A2B-8AA3-5E02293E8084.jpeg
05BEECEA-CED3-4D01-9F89-DBA8BCA577C3.jpeg

Here are some pictures I have just taken

Could be mycoplasma, there is an antibiotic you could use Tylan Soluble is licensed for the treatment of mycoplasma and is probably the best treatment
I also give them acetylcysteine 2 times a day to help loosen the phlegm

Could be mycoplasma, there is an antibiotic you could use Tylan Soluble is licensed for the treatment of mycoplasma and is probably the best treatment
I also give them acetylcysteine 2 times a day to help loosen the phlegm
I managed to get hold of her vet who also suspected mycoplasma. She gave me Tylan soluble and my girl is already looking much better

Glad she's doing better. Just an FYI, mycoplasma is highly contagious and, if she's been with the entire flock, they are all now carriers. No new birds in and no birds out, including hatching eggs. My flock has MG and we decided to keep them and just close our flock. Some choose to cull and start over.

Glad she's doing better. Just an FYI, mycoplasma is highly contagious and, if she's been with the entire flock, they are all now carriers. No new birds in and no birds out, including hatching eggs. My flock has MG and we decided to keep them and just close our flock. Some choose to cull and start over.
We managed to her her tested by the vet. Because at first she just assumed that’s what she had after a phone consultation. It turns out she doesn’t have mycoplasma, thankfully. The vet isn’t really sure what caused the issues but she is back to full health now.

We managed to her her tested by the vet. Because at first she just assumed that’s what she had after a phone consultation. It turns out she doesn’t have mycoplasma, thankfully. The vet isn’t really sure what caused the issues but she is back to full health now.
Thank you for the updated! So glad you were able to get some testing and find out more information.
It's wonderful that she's made a FULL Recovery!

We haven't heard from you Since January 2022 How is she doing?!

Back
Top Bottom