WHEEZING ROOSTER

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3 NH reds, Nov 1, 2014.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I have a 20 week old Cockerel with a breathing problem. He wheezes was he takes a breath. In every other way he looks and acts fine. I took him inside in a cage to separate him from the rest, even if it's too late. I gave all the flocks oxytetrocycline in the water. I gave him some in his water and on an apple chunk I just put in. No other bird has any problem. I held him and my wife looked in his throat but saw nothing. No chicken vets around here in Western MA that I know of.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you added any new birds recently who could have carried in a respiratory disease? Aspergillosis from mold and wet conditions, infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD,) coryza, and I.L.T. are the more common respiratory diseases. Here is a link to read and compare your symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  3. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Great info there! He is on the mend. Not sure what it was, could be IB but he never had any watery eyes. The tetracycline must be working, he sounds better and is eating well. No other birds are sick so I hope all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by