wheezing, sneezing 'coughing' Naked Neck

For anyone in NH - Weare Animal Hospital says that they treat chickens - IMHO that is debatable. I got a bill for $75 and told to give antibiotics and worm
somad.gif
. He did say that there was no sign of trach mites or gapeworm- BUT that he may not be able to see far enough down her throat. That it could be viral or bacterial (UGH duh!) or fungal and that he did not have a reliable (or was it good) test for viral (what about bacterial or fungal). I did call the vet in neighbouring town and was told that even though tout themselves as Farm Vets, they do not treat chickens. (What are chickens and cats? The forgotten species of the animal kingdom - little treat and toy options.
tongue.gif

When I asked for an herbal wormer I was told that he did not have one and none proved effective and it became apparent that the visit was over.

So my girl is inside- HATING IT!!!

I gave her some herbal wormer that I found from the same lady that does my cold rememdy - ALL herbal and flower essence. A combo of kelp,burdock, garlic and other stuff people have said to use for worming. I also went online to Just Answer.com and actually got very good info for half the price. I was told that I could use Flub (whatever) have no egg delay/loss but that the girls would no longer be organic as it is not allowed for poultry but that the Ivermectin was allowed but I would loose eggs. The vet also agreed with the ACV and also to reconsider antibiotics if conditions did not improve. I think if my girl (Ossie- short for Ostrich) gets any better I will have to put her out. This vet also told me that gapeworms could should in poop (which MY vet did not say or ask to do) if she was shedding eggs. The online vet also gave me several sites to visit including many on what to give to prevent.

I also wrote to the State of NH Vet, as when I called around looking for Vetrx after NOT finding it at 5 stores, to a BlueSeal who said that they had had "run" on it- and were out of stock, asking of there was some sort of epidemic going on in NH. (Maybe free vet services??? Don't want to spread it to other states and wipe out all of New England chickies)
hu.gif
fl.gif

Thanks Lydia, I did see another posting of yours with that site and spent some of my day making calls- finally had to call the company for a distributor in NH - no such luck- and was given the number for the main distributor who is sending me some. I will be giving my local TSC, Blue Seal and Agway Feed stores a copy of the flier I printed out for them to order.

So, my saga has come to a close, I have the Oxine on the way, my girl is unhappy in the downstairs bath and no else is wheezing, no ucky stuff leaking for anyone, anywhere and I'm $100+ poorer (no Starbucks or eating out for me!
sad.png
)

Last edited:
thank you and I think it will be - no I am confident it will be. She is plucky as all heck and no one is showing signs (except the lopsided egg I found today) or it may have already gone through.

Thank you again I will keep you updated.

Quote:
what antibiotiuc did you end up using - think I saw some runny beak tonight- also not eating eggs I gave her - would eat scratch - didn't like crumbles LOVED the spinach - not doing great on water intake (so far as I can tell)
I am at the point that I will try antibiotics as I saw the runny nose and decrease in intake.

Miss Lydia agree- this should be part of ANY chicken keepers stores- along with DE, feed and scratch.

Ask your local feed stores to carry it.

Also, ask for Vetrx to be carried. (Don't wait for shipping time - it maybe too late.)

It may be a little pricey but how much will it cost for antibiotics,herbal rememdies, and replacing your losses ? An a penny of prevention is priceless compared to a pound of cure. (to paraphrase)
wink.png

If my feed store carried stuff like VetRX or Oxine I'd be very surprised, but I will bring it up. Shipping costs are outrageous, I have been working on my med. chest for my chickens and ducks for a while now and just got the eye wash at pet smart, I don't keep alot of antibiotics such as tylan just the tetracycline, but thank goodness haven't had to use it. I try to do the natural way the same as with myself and dh. I have mostly herbs and probiotics along with the poultry drench and Oxine. I don't know about the rest of ya'll but sometimes using heat can also raise the humidity in your coop and can cause health problems, I have a heat lamp but don't use it unless going into low teens. They can take the cold much better than the heat.

Back
Top Bottom