Wheezing/whistling Breathing in 1 month old duck

justducky1

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
I have a one month old duckling (one of four ducklings) that just developed a slight whistling/wheezing sound when she breathes. She also appears to be breathing harder than the others. We have been keeping them indoors and just had them stay outside in a pen all night with temps in the low 40's last night and the wheezing began this morning. Is this a bad sign? I am new to raising ducks. I read about using tetracycline but would have to put it in the water that they all drink - is that ok? If I separate them they go crazy.

You may be okay, but unless you had their shelter at about 70 degrees, even 60 F, they may have gotten chilled. Some ducks do okay, some don't.

First, get them to where it is warm enough.

Do they have water to wash their heads in? If not, there could be stuff in their nares that needs to be washed out. They need a warm - 75F bath, for about ten minutes, maybe 15, and then they need to be placed in a warm, clean, dry brooder to dry off.

Letting them get chilled risks all kinds of problems.

Have you read the duckling care sticky?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Thanks for joining the forum. We can all learn from each other. Do you know what breed or breeds you have?

Thanks so much for the information. I think my girls are Pekin ducks. I do have water available for them in their cage and put them in my bathtub twice a day for a bath. I began using warmer water after one became chilled last week. I did know that they need water to clean out their sinuses. I just can't keep them inside anymore b/c there just isn't enough room for four ducks. Should I hook up a light to keep them warm tonight or bring them back inside? Should I get some tetracycline if the whistling continues? I'm worried and realize I wasn't well-prepared for caring for them.

Thanks. The whistling sound went away so I think it might have been a chill from keeping them outside overnight. This week they have been inside overnight. What would you recommend for them to sleep in for when we make a pen? Someone told me that an Igloo (doghouse) would work well b/c it is insulated. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks. The whistling sound went away so I think it might have been a chill from keeping them outside overnight. This week they have been inside overnight. What would you recommend for them to sleep in for when we make a pen? Someone told me that an Igloo (doghouse) would work well b/c it is insulated. Thoughts or suggestions?
a large or Xlarge dog crate,[the solid plastic ones] would be another option too, but they would need to be kept in a secure building because alot of preds could get to them and could really get to them in a dog Igloo. they need very secure housing at night. Glad to hear the whistling has gone away.

Back
Top Bottom