Wheezing/Whistling Rooster

achesney

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Sapulpa, OK
I have a 10 week old Buff Orpington cockerel who has a whistling nasal passage when exhaling. He crows fine, is eating, drinking, and acts perfectly fine. He just has this closed mouth wheezing. I put a little VetRx on the bottom of his comb this morning right near his nasal passages. Is there something else I should do or watch for? His eyes are clear, and his poop is normal, no other symptoms at all.

Make sure that his nostrils are open and clear, and that he i not having any nasal drainage. Do you feed dry or wet feed? Respiratory diseases can occur from carriers, new flock additions, or from wild birds. Poor air circulation, hot coop temperatures causing rapid heavy breathing, wet or moldy conditions, and dust can all lead to respiratory problems. Hopefully it is just somthing temporary, but here is a list of the common viral and bacterial respiratory disease symptoms such as Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Make sure that his nostrils are open and clear, and that he i not having any nasal drainage. Do you feed dry or wet feed? Respiratory diseases can occur from carriers, new flock additions, or from wild birds. Poor air circulation, hot coop temperatures causing rapid heavy breathing, wet or moldy conditions, and dust can all lead to respiratory problems. Hopefully it is just somthing temporary, but here is a list of the common viral and bacterial respiratory disease symptoms such as Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
He eats dry feed. His coop did get wet on a really hot day and we didn't realize it for a day or two. His waterer was leaking and it got his bedding wet from the bottom to the top. We didn't realize until the top bedding got wet. He has no drainage from nostrils or eyes. Since using the VetRx his weezing has been getting a little better each day, but is not completely gone yet. I feel like the worst chicken mother for not realizing his bedding was getting wet!! Thank you for all the information you posted!

The spilled water is fairly common, but good that you discovered it. Mold is always something to try and prevent, although it can be a problem. Aspergillosis, a respiratory disease from mold can be a chronic proble. His whistling sound may be something such as an obstruction. If he will let you, you can shine a flashlight into his beak to look for anything abnormal, and note the roof of his beak for any yellow gunk or spots. The picture below is pretty normal. Does he go outside during the day for fresh air and to roam around?

beak-and-tongue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom