Wheezy cough

jewelzbird

Chirping
7 Years
May 1, 2014
This is our first time with a sick chicken. She is acting normal but I heard a wheezy cough/sneeze twice this morning. Should I pull her out ? That's going to upset her. It's been rainy and cold here. Im worried. What do I do? Help!

If she is not wheezing or sneezing throughout the day, it may be that there something causing a bit of an allergy on the coop. - bedding may be. If you notice the symptoms continually then it could be a respiratory infection. There are lots of threads on such problems for you to search.

Personally I would leave her with the flock as its more than likely that the rest of the flock will have contracted the disease (if indeed that is what it turns out to be) and give vitamin supplements or electrolytes in their drinking water as this helps boosts their immune system. In the meantime, read up on respiratory illness here on BYC and monitor your sneezer.

Al the best

Ct

Well after observing her and more wheezing and coughing we brought her in. She's In a carrier by the fire. I hope I'm doing this right.

Ive been reading up on respiratory illness and it sounds like everyone gives antibiotics. Anyone ever just kept them warm and hydrated and let them beat it? Does that happen? She doesn't seem to be getting worse. Will eat and drink if we coax her and is in the warm cozy house. If it were my kid this is what I would do so it seems right. At this point I'm thinking stay the course unless she gets a bunch worse. Then run for antibiotics. Her symptoms are an occasional rumbling raspy cough and nose congestion. It's like she has a cold. Am I doing this right?

If you read my initial response I did propose vitamins or electrolytes to help boost the immune system

Ct

I am doing that. Thanks. Just trying to feel out if antibiotics are a must. Because if they are I'll go right now.

Last edited:
The reason most people give antibiotics for a respiratory disease is to prevent secondary bacterial infections and pneumonia. A lot of these diseases are viral so you won't cure it with antibiotics but it is these secondary infections that so often kill the bird before it has a chance to recover. Any time a bird is full of mucous and is coughing and sneezing the chance for it to morph into a bacterial infection is high.

You are doing the right thing by keeping her inside and warm. Be prepared to have more birds start showing symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom