Wheezy hen not getting better, need help

scarletbaby

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Silkie, 1 1/2 years, weight?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She wheezes with a gurgling sound when she breathes and is only worsened when she is breathing harder. She is also losing color in her feathers. She was once all orange and now she is turning into a white chicken. No discharge that I can see from her nose and her eyes look bright. She is extremely active and is a good layer. She has never gone broody when all of her sisters have done it many times.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
For about 3 months and the breathing has only been getting worse.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I'm not sure if it's an infection or worms. We have never wormed them before because we would rather not use chemicals if we don't have to. We also have wild birds that come into the backyard so they could have given my hen something.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She has a voracious appetite. Constantly stealing food from the other girls. She is on a layer crumble right now and we have been feeding her all kinds of treats. Scratch, melon rinds, tomatoes, meal worms, and w/e else we happen to have as leftovers.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
She has very runny watery poop with the little nuggets of poop mixed in.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just watching her right now. I did another post a month ago and someone said it was due to the weather and to just watch her. Well she is not getting better and she is getting progressively worse so i need someone else's advice.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treatment ourselves

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Nothing really to look at

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Wood Shavings

I need a diagnosis and a treatment please

One of mine did that and I just put everyone on teh Tetracycline I got at Agway, for 8 days. One tablespoon of the yello powder in their water container, changed every morning. So it was a fresh solution daily.

After about 5 days, she stopped making noises and sneezing, coughing or whatever that was!

It should have an expiration written somewhere. I read somewhere that for people anyway, old tetracycline can damage the kidneys or something.

Back
Top Bottom