Wheezy with sneezing

Chickandroo

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
Hi there. We have 7 chickens in a 13 x 9 run with a decent-sized hen house that are 11 months old. We use pine bedding. We live in a warmer climate, so the coldest temp lately is in the 40s.

We give them chicken feed along with vegetables , mealworms, scratch, oyster shell and grit-keeping to snack-size portions for the treats. They have been doing well and then suddenly today one of our Barred Rocks is wheezy and sneezing. She is also making a strange constant sound when she breathes out.
I haven't seen any strange looking droppings.

Also I just noticed that she has some dark spots on her comb like foul pox. They had that a while ago.

She is still eating and drinking and we don't see anything other indications of what it could be.
We are newer to this so could use some aid.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20230203_181342_(2).jpg
    20230203_181342_(2).jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I’m not seeing evidence of pox. The dark might be pecking or from running into fencing. They look like they are pulling out each other’s feathers, or perhaps starting to molt. That could be from boredom, overcrowding, or not getting outside to roam. Are you feeding a layer or all flock feed with very few other foods? They need at least 16% protein.

The noises sound like stridor plus an occasional sneeze. Stridor is a high pitched sound made when there is a little piece of feed or mucus stuck in the airway, and not serious. It may go away within a few hours. She might have a mild respiratory infection. Do you see any nasal mucus or bubbles in either eye?

I’m not seeing evidence of pox. The dark might be pecking or from running into fencing. They look like they are pulling out each other’s feathers, or perhaps starting to molt. That could be from boredom, overcrowding, or not getting outside to roam. Are you feeding a layer or all flock feed with very few other foods? They need at least 16% protein.

The noises sound like stridor plus an occasional sneeze. Stridor is a high pitched sound made when there is a little piece of feed or mucus stuck in the airway, and not serious. It may go away within a few hours. She might have a mild respiratory infection. Do you see any nasal mucus or bubbles in either eye?
We are feeding a good 16% protein feed and a few other things as listed above. At this time there is no plucking. The run is 13 ft by 9 ft for seven birds and they are doing well other than this.

We separated her at this time.
We were wondering if it is an infection..
We haven't seen any mucus or bubbles. Just the wheezing.
It would be great if it's something that will be cleared out soon!
She's been that way since yesterday. Crossing our fingers that it's nothing serious but considering antibiotics.
Thanks for the advice!

I agree it sounds like stridor. She did scratch at her beak like she may have something hung, please gather her up and take a look in the beak to see if she's got some bedding or foreign material in the beak.

I don't see any signs of Fowl Pox either, just a scab or two, possibly from picking maybe slight injury from rubbing against fencing or a feeder.

Hi there. We have 7 chickens in a 13 x 9 run with a decent-sized hen house that are 11 months old. We use pine bedding. We live in a warmer climate, so the coldest temp lately is in the 40s.

We give them chicken feed along with vegetables , mealworms, scratch, oyster shell and grit-keeping to snack-size portions for the treats. They have been doing well and then suddenly today one of our Barred Rocks is wheezy and sneezing. She is also making a strange constant sound when she breathes out.
I haven't seen any strange looking droppings.

Also I just noticed that she has some dark spots on her comb like foul pox. They had that a while ago.

She is still eating and drinking and we don't see anything other indications of what it could be.
We are newer to this so could use some aid.
Update: we gave her some vitamins and she seems to be doing a lot better. Thanks for all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom