When’s the right time to bring chicks to coop

Jessica 123

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

So my chicks are feathered in there about to go on to 6 weeks old. However I live in Wisconsin and the next week the highs some days will be 40 degrees F and nights below freezing. I really want to start bringing my chicks out at night in the coop but since it’s so cold will they have a difficult time? I don’t really want to put a heat lamp out there cause of fire hazards. If you live in the North when did you see fit to bring the chicks out?

Thank you,

Jessica

I start by decreasing the heat in the brooder by raising the lamp each week. By week 5 or 6 the lamp is high enough and they are feathered enough that it really isn't providing any heat to the chicks. The brooder is at the same temp as the room it is in. I can then remove the lamp and start taking them outside during nice days. Within a few days I start leaving them out a bit longer each day as the day starts to cool down. Within a week or two depending on night time lows I am able to have them in the coop all night.

It works for us here.

I've been bringing them outside to the tractor/playpen for 4-5 hours a day to graze on the grass and fertilize my lawn. They are 3 1/2 weeks old and pretty well feathered out already. It has been 75-80 degrees here in Atlanta this week in the sun, so they have been plenty warm out there. At night I have them in their brooder with a heat plate and they do seem to still congregate under it once they come back in and settle down to sleep.

If you don't mind I would like to add on to your question....
Can baby chicks be put with older chicks, I have put them outside with them a couple times (8 weeks old) and the older ones seem to want to "buff up" to them. I'm worried they are going to hurt them.

Can baby chicks be put with older chicks, I have put them outside with them a couple times (8 weeks old) and the older ones seem to want to "buff up" to them. I'm worried they are going to hurt them.

Too much of an age difference to me, safer to integrate them over time with the protection of a divider/wall.

Back
Top Bottom