When a bird just disapears? Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by taprock, May 27, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Today I lost a chicken with no sign of anything. I was working outside and didn't hear anything either. I walked the whole area with no sign of feathers, blood anything. What kind of predator would leave no trace in the middle of the day?

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Initiallt it sounds like your bird wandered off, as to a possible predator, I would suspect a fox although there would be some sign of struggle unless the birds was a ways out and small

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

She's a Polish. My husband, son and I walked half of our 22 acres three time and checked all the hiding spots and nothing, including no feathers. I'm frustrated by it, not knowing what happened.

4. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I have heard that badgers will do this, but I think they do it at night.

5. Kathi D

Kathi D Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    ATASCADERO, CA
    Some of mine disappeared like that, although I did find a small trail of feathers a ways off from the coop. After investigation, pretty sure it was a bobcat.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Surprisingly, I've lost some birds to the neighbor's dog and he didn't leave much of a mess at all. I know dogs usually leave a trail of feathers, but he didn't.
    One time he got 3 and while I did find a few feathers no bodies, another time when I didn't fully latch the gate they slipped under it and he got 2. The roo put up a bit of a fight and there were a few feathers around him, but the hen was just there dead. I left the bodies for the scavengers and they disappeared without a trace, so even if your bird was left somewhere on your property something might have taken it later.

A hawk might carry off a small bird without much trace too. In the daytime maybe a fox as well.

It IS frustrating when they just vanish into thin air. My ole red roo Big Red disappeared one day, just poof! I never found a thing. My only green egg layer disappeared her first night in the (new to her) coop. No other losses from the pen, I initially suspected she might have been stolen because of the lack of evidence of any predators, but I just don't know. I started padlocking the coop after that though.

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Sounds like a bird of prey.

8. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Bird dogs (retrievers) will do that. I had a faverolles roo "retrieved" by a neighbor's young black lab and there would have been no evidence except for the fact that the neighbor saw the chicken in the dog's mouth in his front yard and made him drop it. The roo survived the ordeal with not even broken skin (dog had what they call a soft mouth - thankfully). As soon as he could draw a breath the roo made a beline for cover. When I got in there and pulled him out he was definitely traumatized by the experience. I remember it took a good 2 weeks before he stopped moping around and took his rightful place back on the highest perch. The neighbors were beside themselves and were very sorry the dog got away from them (it was a dog they were watching for someone else). It sure is nice to have good neighbors - we hear too often in this forum about neighbors who aren't so nice. Let's hear it for great neighbors - and share those eggs!

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by