When a duck loses their companion

meimei42

Hatching
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Me and my husband recently got two Peking ducks--Desmond and Virgil. They are beautiful ducks, very attached to one other, and are about six weeks old.

Two nights ago a skunk got into the coop and killed Desmond. We were able to rescue the other before it could be hurt, but now we have a very lonely duck. Our ducks had been very independent, could roam during the day on their own and had no trouble sleeping without us around. Now our duck is terrified to be by himself. When my husband leaves, the duck quacks loudly until he returns. He is okay sitting with me, but prefers my husband. We can't leave him alone without getting him upset. I have no idea what to do. Do we just hope he gets better at being on his own (we both work and can't stay with him during the day)? Do we get him a new duck? I'm a littler nervous about that--what if they don't get along? I'm not even sure where to get another duck. Or the third option is we give him back to the couple who gave him to us. They have three other ducks that were a part of the same flock as ours was. They were all with each other for a couple of days before we adopted the ducks.

I care about my ducks, but watching Desmond duck die was traumatizing for everyone involved. I really don't know what is best to do for our remaining duck, or where we would get a new companion for him if that was what we opted for. I want to do what is right for him.

We have re-fortified to coup, but we can't put him outside because he cries when he is by himself.

Please, any advice would be wonderful.

Losing a duck to a violent death can be very traumatic to everyone including the other duck who witnessed it (I just dealt with this a few months ago). In my opinion giving him back would be more along the lines of abandoning him since he is now very bonded to you. I would at least try to find a companion for him.

Where are you? Sometimes if you are close to other people they are willing to help out.

Me and my husband recently got two Peking ducks--Desmond and Virgil. They are beautiful ducks, very attached to one other, and are about six weeks old.

Two nights ago a skunk got into the coop and killed Desmond. We were able to rescue the other before it could be hurt, but now we have a very lonely duck. Our ducks had been very independent, could roam during the day on their own and had no trouble sleeping without us around. Now our duck is terrified to be by himself. When my husband leaves, the duck quacks loudly until he returns. He is okay sitting with me, but prefers my husband. We can't leave him alone without getting him upset. I have no idea what to do. Do we just hope he gets better at being on his own (we both work and can't stay with him during the day)? Do we get him a new duck? I'm a littler nervous about that--what if they don't get along? I'm not even sure where to get another duck. Or the third option is we give him back to the couple who gave him to us. They have three other ducks that were a part of the same flock as ours was. They were all with each other for a couple of days before we adopted the ducks.

I care about my ducks, but watching Desmond duck die was traumatizing for everyone involved. I really don't know what is best to do for our remaining duck, or where we would get a new companion for him if that was what we opted for. I want to do what is right for him.

We have re-fortified to coup, but we can't put him outside because he cries when he is by himself.

I was just looking at your pics in the other thread and again i am very sorry, and thankful both weren't killed, Ducks do form a very tight bond with each other and i am sure the trauma of all that happened hasn't helped him feel the least bit secure. If you decide to get another duck for Virgil I'd look on Craigslist you may find one there and try to get one as close to his age as possible, introduce them outside together during the day time it may take a few days before they bond but they most likely will, Your calling them boy names did you know for certain they are both boys? If so then you could go with either girl or boy when choosing Virgil a friend. If you do decide to take him back where you got him there is no guarantee the other ducks will accept him since they have all bonded and he will be an outsider, but hopefully they would introduce him to the others with out causing more stress to Virgil. Can you give him a stuffed animal to sleep with for now? where are you keeping him since the attack? This is so sad, just put yourself in Virgils shoes so to speak, The trauma of all he has been through at such a young age. Bless his heart.

This story is so sad, I nearly cried! Poor Desmond, and poor Virgil too. I think a new friend would be a good for him. It will give him something new and exciting to think about.
hugs.gif
There will be an adjustment. They will probably attack one another for a while what I suggest is you separate them inside the pen with either a cage or some kind of screen to black one another for a week or two then they get a custom to each other and then you allow them to be together they may fight a little and you may want to try to break it up but just let them be if a couple weeks don’t work try another week or so but eventually they will Bond

This story is so sad, I nearly cried! Poor Desmond, and poor Virgil too. I think a new friend would be a good for him. It will give him something new and exciting to think about.
hugs.gif

I think you should try and find a new duck for him. When I first got my ducks, I got two. One got stuck and died. She was alone for a long time, at least 4 months. At that time, it was winter and I couldn't just get another duckling, she was almost full sized. After that, I heard someone was giving away their ducks because a fox was getting them. I only planned to get on or two of them, but ended up with all of them (4). At first, she completely avoided them. It took about a week, but she did bond with them. So my point is, you should get another duck, but don't be upset if they don't get along right from the beginning.

Me and my husband recently got two Peking ducks--Desmond and Virgil.  They are beautiful ducks, very attached to one other, and are about six weeks old.  

Two nights ago a skunk got into the coop and killed Desmond.  We were able to rescue the other before it could be hurt, but now we have a very lonely duck.  Our ducks had been very independent, could roam during the day on their own and had no trouble sleeping without us around.  Now our duck is terrified to be by himself.  When my husband leaves, the duck quacks loudly until he returns.  He is okay sitting with me, but prefers my husband.  We can't leave him alone without getting him upset.  I have no idea what to do.  Do we just hope he gets better at being on his own (we both work and can't stay with him during the day)?  Do we get him a new duck?  I'm a littler nervous about that--what if they don't get along? I'm not even sure where to get another duck.  Or the third option is we give him back to the couple who gave him to us.  They have three other ducks that were a part of the same flock as ours was.  They were all with each other for a couple of days before we adopted the ducks.

I care about my ducks, but watching Desmond duck die was traumatizing for everyone involved.  I really don't know what is best to do for our remaining duck, or where we would get a new companion for him if that was what we opted for.  I want to do what is right for him.

I have 5 khaki Campbells but the Alpha of the pack had died and his girlfriend has been dearest and my mom thinks that she's not gonna last very long in her life I was wondering if you have any advice from me so I can help my duck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom