When a hen is sitting.....

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
We have a bunch of eggs under our bedroom window and when I went to look there was a hen on them. Apparently, several of our hens are laying in the same spot. I had picked up 2 eggs that I knew were just laid and put them under the hen that was sitting on the nest, she pecked at my hand so I thought she was broody. I went to put feed down and a little bit later this sitting hen came screaming over to the food. I went to see if there was anything bothering the eggs, there wasn't but she didn't go back to sitting on the eggs that night.

My question is: How long after a hen starts sitting do the eggs start.......? Forming? Maturing? I don't know what it would be called. I know from watching YouTube about incubators that when you put the eggs in, it takes 3 - 4 hours for the temperature to come up to normal.

As soon as I get a temperature/humidity gauge, I am going to transfer those eggs into my incubator. I'm trying to get my husband to go get the gauge tonight. Sylvia

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I didn't get an answer to this but I did bring them in and put them in the incubator and now I don't remember how many eggs I had, I am terrible at keeping records, a work in progress. I had 24 babies hatch they are now 10 weeks old. I think I might have added some extra cause I only wrote down that I had 20 eggs. This thread was started on 4/18 and the eggs started hatching on 5/9. Twenty one days on the dot. I must have caught her just before she actually went broody.

I didn't remember this post or the date, lousy record keeping, I thought they hatched at 2 weeks in the incubator. Boy, that was a fast 3 weeks and I have had several hatches since then, now I have Silkie eggs in there and this is the slowest 3 weeks, they have only been in there 9 days. LOL

b.hromada

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 9, 2009
south Florida, Pompano Beach
Congrats on the hatch!
clap.gif
You did good! You must have just caught her on time. Enjoy your chickens!

Top Bottom