when and how to introduce baby chickens

art4cheri

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 27, 2014
I have 13 hens. They are about 7 months old. I am thinking of getting a few baby chicks. At what age can they be introduced to the flock? By the way I also have one roo.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It is best to wait until the chickens are about the same size, and then a long period of seeing but no touching through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. Letting them free range together is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock".

I usually introduce birds into my flock when they are similar in size to the older birds. This is usually around 14-16 weeks old. Until then, they live in a segregated section that allows them to see the older hens, but not touch.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

The other members have given you some good advice. Good luck with your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom