When are chicks old enough to be outside during the day?

I am putting my four week old chicks outside tonight. They have a
24" x 24" x 24" box with a heating pad and six inches of chips. They also have access to a 48" x 15' open run.
The weather is taking a dip for the next week or so in the fifties during the day and thirties at night.
I am also putting a two year old hen in the run for a couple weeks.
Will share the results of the experiment as they happen.

I have 10 4 week old chicks right now. The lows for the next week are 39 and up, the highs are in the 60’s. 3 of them are bantam silkies and I’d be the most worried to put them outside right now, but how soon can they live outside full time?

Although my chicks are in the house at the moment and my wife's cat is in the house and my pretend dog, devil dog is a better description, is also in the house; I must say your dad was a very wise man.
He thought he was wise too! :gigHe was definitely set in his ways but taught me much about what is important in life. What is a pretend devil dog? I have a Jack Russell and a Rat terrier, they were good city dogs but bad farm dogs! They want to kill everything!

I am putting my four week old chicks outside tonight. They have a
24" x 24" x 24" box with a heating pad and six inches of chips. They also have access to a 48" x 15' open run.
The weather is taking a dip for the next week or so in the fifties during the day and thirties at night.
I am also putting a two year old hen in the run for a couple weeks.
Will share the results of the experiment as they happen.
Your two year old hen will not like the chicks and may hurt them if she is not broody. I'd be very careful. The chicks don't need her, they just need food, water and heat! Watch closely! :fl

He thought he was wise too! :gigHe was definitely set in his ways but taught me much about what is important in life. What is a pretend devil dog? I have a Jack Russell and a Rat terrier, they were good city dogs but bad farm dogs! They want to kill everything!
Australian terrorist. Most arrogant hardheaded, self centered animal I ever met. I don't know who is going to kill who first, me him, or him me.

Maggie my broody hatched three chicks 5 days ago. She took them out of the coop for the first time today! She's such a good chicken mommy!

maggie brings out chicks.jpg :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom