When are chicks old enough to be outside during the day?

@Aunt Angus here is my set up, these are almost 3 week old buff orpingtons.
IMG_20190313_134658.jpg
IMG_20190313_134746.jpg
IMG_20190313_134724.jpg

I try and keep them with extra Fluffy pine shavings, but the spread them out a lot. This week we are starting supervised outings with the big girls & boy. So far so good! Hopefully by this weekend I can trust everyone enough to let them mingle & just leave an escape route for the Littles into their safe space.

Attachments

• IMG_20190313_134752.jpg
    IMG_20190313_134752.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20190313_134748.jpg
    IMG_20190313_134748.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 3
I just bought some chicks yesterday, today they are outside. I put them in a brooder set-up, but realized that they are still too small for that, so I put them in my giant clear plastic box and they are happier. They are older and I got them for $1 each, all pullets (they say??) and I'd say 2 weeks old. I'm the daughter of a farmer (and Navy man) and was taught from a young age that animals belong outside, not in the house. My Dad wouldn't even let our dog in the house! I do! :D:D
View attachment 1696484 View attachment 1696485 View attachment 1696487

How cute! Your dad would not approve of my indoor duck!!

I brood my chicks outside in the big coop. I use a large metal wire dog crate and cover the top so the other chickens don't poop down onto the chicks.
The chicks are able to fit between the bars of the dog crate and so they come and go as they please. The older birds can't fit through, so they chicks have a safe place to get too. I put there food in their so that the piggy older chickens don't gobble it all down.
In the summer (in Missouri) I don't even use a heat lamp. I have some out there now that went out in November, I did put a heat lamp out there for them then. I turned the heat lamp off about 2 months or so ago. About a month or more ago I took out the dog crate as well. It's not as good as having a broody raise them, but they integrate with the flock very easily!!

I just bought some chicks yesterday, today they are outside. I put them in a brooder set-up, but realized that they are still too small for that, so I put them in my giant clear plastic box and they are happier. They are older and I got them for $1 each, all pullets (they say??) and I'd say 2 weeks old. I'm the daughter of a farmer (and Navy man) and was taught from a young age that animals belong outside, not in the house. My Dad wouldn't even let our dog in the house! I do! :D:D

I'm a daughter to a farmer to my dad always said animals belong outside our new dog wr put our foot down saying that he is going to be an inside dog he said fine as long as they aren't in the bedroom fast forward 3 years and our dog sleeps in my bed he gives the dog cuddles on the lounge and he loves our new chicks the only thing he doesnt like is my horse he says she is scary because she has blue eyes

Hello. I searched around, but it was hard to find information on when chicks can go outside to explore, but still be sleeping in the house. I would love to bring my girls outside so they can have some fun in the yard, but what age is right? Right now they are 2 weeks.

View attachment 1694050
I also thought you might want to see the cuties! :)
Thanks!
For the first 2 weeks I kept mine inside than for 3 weeks I would take them outside for a while gradually getting longer at 5 weeks they moved outside completely night and day they have been outside now for 2 weeks as there 6 weeks and there going really well furidu the day I let them out and at night I lock them up I keep the coop right opened up so they can go in and out it rained a couple times and they went in at first it was really funny cause they were not quite sure about the gate being open or anything now they know the drill

I have been taking all 6 of my chicks into the yard, and put them in a sunny spot. They love it, and don't leave or try to escape. It is really fun to watch them peck around. They are 3 weeks old, and do super well outside in the sun. We always bring them back in if they start huddling together.

I can’t brood indoors and I live in Ohio where it has been C-O-L-D. Coop is completely uninsulated. One morning the temperature inside (INSIDE!!!) my coop was six degrees.

I thought for sure I would open the door and find frozen chicks. Instead, my tiny, downy, three-day-old chicks were having a blast in their frigid brooder. They were running around, eating, drinking, checking out their digs, and only occasionally darting under Elecrric Mama for a little warmup.

Those same chicks are now 3 weeks+ and doing extremely well. It was in the high 60s today and I had the coop wide open and the chicks hardly spent any time at all under Electric Mama.

I posted this a couple of days ago. Given how hardy these chicks are, I will have no qualms about getting them fully outside now and then as long as they have a way to get to some warmth!

Although my chicks are in the house at the moment and my wife's cat is in the house and my pretend dog, devil dog is a better description, is also in the house; I must say your dad was a very wise man.

Back
Top Bottom