When are pullets combs supposed to get their color?

4Urbanchix

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
Northern California
I have three 11 week old pullets. 1 black Australorp and 2 barred rocks. They have pretty short combs and they aren’t really red but more on the light pink side. They also look kind of dry. This is my first time having chickens so I just want to make sure they are alright.
EF94275D-0530-435D-9EFE-BC087B37315E.png

Hi!!!

No, you are totally ok. When it comes to waddles and combs, the males devlop faster and are cherry red. The females (depending on the breed - how fast and red) combs usually take wayyy longer and are not at all as big or a red. I have almost 4 month old amerucanas and their combs are still pretty small. You are fine. As for dryness, thats is normally ok too. But if you want, rub a little shea butter or any kind of oil (olive, coconut, avacado, jojoba ect) on them to re-hydrate them. Thats what i do whenever my girls look a little chapped!

You have beautiful ladies, however, if you are anything like me, you won't have just have 3 for too long- you can never have too many chickens!

Oh, and I have the same coop, lol. It is the best coop on the market that I have found. I am getting another in a few months!

Happy chickening!!!

If you are still using a chick waterer for them, i would not. They are much bigger now. I would switch to a 1 gallon waterer, whitch has a wider "watering trough" making it easier for them to drink and stay hydrated. Hydration is REALLY important. Def switch to a 1 gal waterer. The chick feeder will work for you for a few more weeks tho. By 3-3 1/2 months, switch to an 7lb feeder.
Hope this helps!

Hi!!!

No, you are totally ok. When it comes to waddles and combs, the males devlop faster and are cherry red. The females (depending on the breed - how fast and red) combs usually take wayyy longer and are not at all as big or a red. I have almost 4 month old amerucanas and their combs are still pretty small. You are fine. As for dryness, thats is normally ok too. But if you want, rub a little shea butter or any kind of oil (olive, coconut, avacado, jojoba ect) on them to re-hydrate them. Thats what i do whenever my girls look a little chapped!

You have beautiful ladies, however, if you are anything like me, you won't have just have 3 for too long- you can never have too many chickens!

Oh, and I have the same coop, lol. It is the best coop on the market that I have found. I am getting another in a few months!

Happy chickening!!!
Thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom