when are they broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by autumnprairie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. autumnprairie

autumnprairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    I have buff orps and one is setting but she doesn't seem to set on the eggs all the time.How often do they need to set on the nest ?
    Should I remove the eggs or will they hatch out with her being inconsistant?
    Thanks in advanced

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A true broody will stay on the nest 24/7, with a once a day outing to take care of eating, etc, usually for maybe 10-20 minutes at most. She will also flatten herself out to cover the eggs, turn the eggs, and fluff up and growl and peck at you if you get too close. Some hens just like to hang around in nests some of the time, not the same thing, especially if they are low in the pecking order.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I agree with Flockwatcher. My BO went broody at 10 months old. She sat on the nest 24/7 and would not get off for anything. She even poo-ed in the nest. What a mess. She would not eat or drink, I had to force her off ( have peck marks to prove it). Had to move her and eggs in order to clean the nest, then move them back. Had to pick her up and sit her in front of her food and water, she would eat just a little and then race back to the nest. I do not have a roo. So I got some fertile eggs from a friend. She hatched two chicks, a RIR and Barred Rock. She is a great mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by