when are they fertilized?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DPC poultry, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    I am planning on incubating some eggs from my flock and i put roo in with my 9 hens yesterday, how long will it take for all my hens to lay fertilized eggs?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It takes an egg about 25 hours to go through the hen's internal egg laying factory. It can only be fertilized in the first 15 minutes or so of that journey.

If the mating took place on a Sunday, Sunday's egg is not fertile. It had its window of opportunity on Saturday. Monday's egg might be, but might not. It depends on what time the mating took place and when it started its journey. I would not count on it. Tuesday's egg will almost certainly be fertile.

The problem with this is that it depends when the mating took place. A rooster does not necessarily mate with every hen the day you put him with the flock. it depends on the rooster and the hens. When he does mate with her, she normally stays fertile about 2 weeks. It could be as little as 9 days or as much as 3 weeks, but two weeks is a pretty good number to use.

You can start cracking the eggs and looking for the bull's eye. When you see most eggs have the bull's eye, you can start incubating. This link has pictures that might help.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by