1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO START???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babychickfarmer, Jul 20, 2007.

1. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the average laying age for everyones leghorns. I thought I read somewhere that they can start laying as soon as 16 weeks. Is that true because myne are 211 weeks almost and no sign of any eggs from them...I think I also read that when they're combs start to fold over they were goin to start laying. 4 out of 5 of them have large combs that are all folded over but one doesn't...does that maybe mean she is a different kind or is she just a late bloomer. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for the answers in advance. Any advice would be nice.

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    are you sure they are that many weeks?!?!?!
    maybe they are rooster and you dont know. that is WEIRD

3. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I ment 21 weeks [​IMG] Sorry

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If they are too hot...they might lay later...but by 24 weeks they should start. Some just start later. Get ready...it will happen soon, and you will be in egg heaven! LOL

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I have two that will be 19 weeks 7/23 got 1st egg on 7/9 exactly 17 weeks from one the other still has a small comb and is showing no signs of wanting to start

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    My brown leghorns started at around 20 weeks. The heat isn't helping them. Make sure they have plenty of shade and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by