When are they ready?

AlyssaP87

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
How do I know when my chicks are ready to go into a coop? These are my first 3 chicks. They are now 2 weeks old. I live in central Florida the temperature outside is in high 80's. right now I am keeping them in a box in my garage. Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
They are ready to go out now with those temperatures.

Make sure they have plenty of shade to keep cool if it gets above 90 as well as the obvious: water and food.

A lot of it depends on breed as well. Some are more fragile and need heat longer than others. Watch their behaviour. I start giving them outdoor time early to build up healthy immunities.

You don't think they'd be more prey to predators because of their size? My husband built a nice coop but I'm paranoid. Lol

Last edited:

You don't think they'd be more prey to predators because of their size? My husband built a nice coop but I'm paranoid. Lol

This is a nice safe coop.

Something COULD dig under, but I wouldn't say that is likely. Especially since it looks like your yard is fenced.

They'd be more likely to be picked off by birds of prey if free ranged, but in that coop you shouldn't worry.

This is a nice safe coop.

Something COULD dig under, but I wouldn't say that is likely. Especially since it looks like your yard is fenced.

They'd be more likely to be picked off by birds of prey if free ranged, but in that coop you shouldn't worry.

So I put the chicks in there and all ready found predators. My two dogs went ballistic! They were trying everything to get in there :( I've never seen them like that :/

Your dogs will dig under.. You may want to go with a buried wire. 

Or train your dogs not to go ballistic.
We started training them. We never leave them out there without us anyways, but my husband and I claimed the chickens tonight and it worked. We are going to do that every day for the next few weeks to train them not to go crazy. :) thanks for the advice. Oh and the chicks loved the coop!

We started training them. We never leave them out there without us anyways, but my husband and I claimed the chickens tonight and it worked. We are going to do that every day for the next few weeks to train them not to go crazy.
smile.png
thanks for the advice. Oh and the chicks loved the coop!

That's great! I'm sure they loved the grass as well :)

Good luck with the dogs. I have a pup right now, so I know it involves a lot of work in training. They'll get the hang of it!

My chicks are now 11 days old. I've been letting them out in the back yard for about half an hour for the last 3 days. They took to it right away. Is it too early for them to be in the yard or am I OK? I figured that if they were being raised by a momma hen that she would have them in the yard too.

Also, how soon before I can start giving them meal worms for treats?

You’re right. A momma hen has them outside as soon as she figures they can go. That’s one reason broody raised chicks are usually healthier than brooder raised chicks. Momma exposes them to the ground and all the flora and fauna out there, especially the bacteria and other such stuff. They develop immunities and get probiotics from that, as well as learning how to be chickens. As long as your weather and conditions allow it, having them outside is great.

Since they are outside on the ground they are picking up grit. If they will eat them, you can give them mealworms or practically any other treat. The treat just needs to be in a size they can handle and they have to have grit.

Back
Top Bottom