When asked,"Why are you raising chickens?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kareninthesun, Jan 20, 2012.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I show them THIS, and educate. But truth is, I did my homework beforehand, wanted FRIENDLY hens that laid a variety of colors. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's funny is for years, the day before Easter was spent with colors splashed and stained on fingers and hands, and NO amount of patience produced eggs of this quality of color. Can't tell me that chickens aren't magical! They even lay chocolate eggs!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    As Foghorn Leghorn used to say, "Naw that thar is what I call a variety son!"

3. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. nstilwater

nstilwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I started out just wanting some fresh eggs and a couple of pets, then i seen a report that was released by the FDA admitting that there is arsenic in the chicken that you buy in the us. I cant bring myself to knowingly feed my children something that contains arsenic so now i raise them for meat and eggs

5. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011

Was it what you expected? What did you learn along the way? Did you start out with hatching eggs, chicks or rescuing? Was it difficult to cull the first time? How did you learn?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've never had anyone ask me why I am raising chickens. Or currently, ducks and geese. I guess people around here know what chickens are for.

7. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    People around my town think I'm crazy for raising chickens.
    For so long I had begged my parents to let me have a barnyard animal:a pony,a donky,a cow....
    Finally my mum told me when I was 16,"If you do your homework on this then maybe we'll try"
    Man,I hit the books like nobody's business.
    We picked up 6 chicks from a local feed store in April,the cutest little things ever.
    When one died the first night I was totally heartbroken,I thought I'd done something wrong.
    She was sick from a bird at the store though,it wasn't anything we had done.
    The other 5 grew like weeds and were ridiculously funny.
    They were in my bedroom for about 10 weeks or so,and had an awesome little ritual in the morning.
    Scarlet and Charlotte would jump up on my bed,then sit on my chest until I woke up.
    Charlotte would walk all over my legs 'cause that was faster.
    Now my chickens are like family to me.All 9 of them!
    I started off with my 5 hens,got another roo as a tiny chick,aquired my Silkie roo,then my Silkie hen and her chick.
    Having chickens is one of the most rewarding experiances of life,at least I think so.

1 person likes this.
  8. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    A couple of years ago, some friends of ours were giving us fresh eggs from their hens. Then they both became sick & eventually some critters got all the the poultry. So, after much research into our zoning laws, I live in the middle of New Orleans, and types of chickens, my DH & I converted an old shed into a coop & I gave up 10 feet of garden for a run. I thought I had settled on RIRs, BRs and EEs, but the feed store only had RIRs. We started out wanting 4, but then upped it to 6 to have enough eggs to share back with our friends, so I got 8, thinking at least 2 of them would perish due to both of us being newbies. Well, all 8 survived, and we now have lots & lots of delicious brown eggs.

When people ask me why we have chickens, I give a 3 part answer: Delicious eggs. Free fertilizer for the garden. Lots & lots of entertainment!

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I get that question occasionally, and most folk have their own idea of how I'll answer before I say a word. Usually, the answers they expect have something to do with self-sufficiency, education, quirkiness or just plain old craziness. (many folk in my line of work have little to do with animals or the outdoors, unless it involves dogs,cats or a day hike). The truth is it's a bit of each of those, but mostly it's because I truly feel rewarded when I can care for and tend to animals, then see them thrive. I'm the kid who didn't just have a fish tank...I had 10 of them, and bred fish to sell to local pet stores. I was the kid who fell in love with tending to and managing a large group of animals and felt rewarded every time the group increased in number. I was also the kid who tried to increase the numbers of rare fish to help preserve them. Chickens aren't fish, but in many ways caring for them is the same as my childhood hobby.

None of that is easy to describe to other people, but sometimes they do "get it." If they don't that's OK. Besides, the eggs I bring to work usually help them to understand.

10. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Same as w/ Oregon, no one has ever asked me. It's always, "Oh, I wish I could have chickens!"

I know I won't find 'em on this site, but I'd like to hear from folks who think it's "crazy" to raise birds. I cannot imagine anyone I know thinking that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by