When can 1 month olds free range with older chickens?

FloridaHen

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Highlands County,Florida
My 2.5 month olds already free range in the yard and now the babies who are a month old want to be out with them, I can tell from their sad faces peeking out of the fence watching the others get to play in the grass. When is a good time to try letting them go? I want a united flock...

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

I'm guessing from your username that you're in Florida? :D

I'd imagine your weather is quite warm there. If that's the case, and you aren't having some weird cool snap, I'd just put them out of the brooder permanently. I'm in TN, and I kicked my last batch of chicks out of the brooder at a little before 4 weeks old (if I'm remembering correctly, they weren't fully feathered yet). We were still having temps in the high 30s and low 40s at that time, and they did just fine. There are 20+ of them, they kept warm by snuggling, but I don't think you're seeing anything like that this time of the year.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Actually I live quite opposite, Im on the west coast and we got some 20 and 30F weather when we were thinking of letting ours go a few weeks back but they weren't feathered out all the way and we do kinda spoil our birds, plus we didn't have as many as you do so they couldn't keep each other warm as well, plus they are all dorks~
Its warming up so maybe our next hatch will be able to be free sooner than the others~

You're right, I am in Florida and it is a bit warmer here... in fact I got to admit it is pouring at the moment. The 5 babies have been in last few nights with their "elders" . It's been warm enough I had no worries except got to see how this rain goes with them... if they are wet and upset I am gonna bring them back to the baby pit, where the lamp is, I know the bigger ones will huddle in the coop but with the 2 Biggest in there Brutus and Bertha (Cornish X's), there just is no room for the rest.I got to admit though, I will be glad when the 2 Cornish X's are off in another Home, lordy Brutus is a P I G ! He will just park his fluffy butt at the feeder all day if I didn't lock him out of it with a fitted cap over it. I have been wanting the chickens to be more free range during the day, and uncover the feeding tube at night (btw, I posted the tube thing a bit ago if wanna see what I am talking about)

Today, my first afternoon off, the babies were outside the fence for the first time, though they didn't get the idea those huge raindrops will be cold...LOL. I think they loved it, the littlest one , now named Selene (who I saw a pic of in Underworld and went wow this fits her personality, no matter who picked on her sizewise, she came right back at them)

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

Back
Top Bottom