when can a new flock of older hens free range

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
I just got a flock of 6+ month old hens and I free range my flock on occasion, these are in a coop with a run but its a rather low fence and there are a lot of light breeds in this flock so they might fly over. When should I let them out into the run I want to make sure if they do fly over the fence they come back to the coop at some point hopefully before night? Also When can I start free ranging them. I'd like to let them out as soon as possible since we could have snow on the ground any day now.

Last edited:
You can absolutely free range at any time. My baby chicks hatched from a mama hen take them out on the first day :)

If you leave a light on, they will learn to go in when it gets dark. Of course, there always seems to be a few who have to be chased in :)

You might want to keep them cooped up for a few days to a week or more just to home them to their new digs.

Do you have any concerns regarding a medical quarantine if you have existing birds?

Good Luck!

I let them out in the run today because they were being annoying, lol. A few jumped the fence but they just ran around outside the fence and I just opened the door and shooed them back in so it seems okay.

These hens are in a separate coop then my other hens I will be adding a rooster from the other coop to this flock but I'll wait and make sure no one is ill in the new flock...unless he starts fighting with my other rooster and I think its worth the risk so they don't kill each other. Right now he just runs for all he's worth when he sees the older rooster heading his way...which is kind of funny because he's bigger then the other rooster now and hasn't realized it yet.

Back
Top Bottom