When can chicks be moved outside?

chickadeedo2012

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
I have one month old chicks in my house. When is a good time for them to be moved outside. The nights in Pittsburgh, PA are getting cooler and now some of the days. I do have electric in my coop/shed. I was thinking of moving them out this weekend and placing a 250 watt red heat light in there to help keep them warm at night. The vinly shed is 10 x 8 with a cement floor. I plan to put bedding down also. Please give me suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:
Roughly 6 weeks, when they are fully feathered. If you are not already, start weaning them off the heat. You don't want to take them from 80 degrees to 30 degrees overnight, they need to acclimate first. By the time you put them outside, they should be completely off the heat lamp.

I have my 4 week old's out in my 4X8' non insulated coop because I couldn't raise 29 chicks in my living room any longer!. I have 2 - 250w lamps out there right now and will wean them off of one in a week or so

So they should be fully feathered at 6 weeks? I live in Eastern PA...if I order some chicks now, will they have time to properly acclimate to the approaching cold weather?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, I adopted my first chickens, 2GLWs and a white silkie, in September and they were already 15 weeks old. I would really like more sooner rather than later, but of course, I don't want to freeze them.

So they should be fully feathered at 6 weeks? I live in Eastern PA...if I order some chicks now, will they have time to properly acclimate to the approaching cold weather?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, I adopted my first chickens, 2GLWs and a white silkie, in September and they were already 15 weeks old. I would really like more sooner rather than later, but of course, I don't want to freeze them.

It's really hard to say when I'm not familiar with your weather. If you can keep a constant temperature and the chicks acclimate to the colder weather before you put them outside, they should be okay. You may need to supplement with a heat lamp if it gets really cold. The more chicks you have the better the chances, as they can huddle together for warmth.

If you can provide a heat lamp, I'd move them out next week. I'd raise that lamp a bit every three days. You've got to harden them off in time for the real winter weather, which is coming. We're enjoying a rather warm Autumn, but everyone knows, this cannot last forever. Use the 40 and 50 degree days, over the next weeks to your advantage. Get them acclimated. Nature will supply them with great, thick feathering if you allow them some exposure to cooler temps. By week 7 or 8, it is time to ween them completely. They'll be just fine.

Had they been raised by a broody hen, she'd be all done with them by now. Enjoy your troupe of new chickens!!!

I just moved my 3 chicks to the grow-out tractor this week. They are 6 weeks. It has been getting down to mid 30's where I live. I have a 150W heat lamp on a timer so they aren't too cold. The tractor is 4'x10'. The lamp is on half of the roost. They have the ability to be under the lamp or not. It has been real stormy here too. Highs have been mid 40's. I have seen them huddled in the empty nest box to under the lamp. I like giving them the opportunity to get warm under lamp since there is only 3 of them. I did ween them off the lamp when they were in the brooder in the shed. Temps in there never got below 50. But with the night temps here I felt I needed to give them the supplement heat.

good gracious!! 29 chickens in the living room?? We had 8 at one point, and we thought that many was unbearable. lol!

Yes it was fun and novel for about 2 weeks and a little bit much for 2 weeks! I had 2 giant watermelon bins and a huge layer of shavings dust over the entire house!

Back
Top Bottom