when can chicks be part of the flock

In early June I put three baby chicks under my broody hen and now they are 8 weeks old and I was wondering when can they be with the rest of the flock?
Welcome o BYC. You will probably get a better response to your question if you repost under the raising baby chicks forum. I would put hem where the flck can see them but not get to tham for a while, aa week or two , then introduce with supervision. Good luck.

I haven't found anything at all can someone help me
he.gif

In the future, if you have a broody, leave her with the flock. Her hormones are flying high, and she will aggressively protect her chicks. That aggression gives her a very high pecking order. The layers respect that, and leave the chicks alone, and eventually they are used to them. The chicks grow up in the flock.

When people take the broody hen out of the flock, the broody hen herself, loses her pecking order. It is common to put her and the chicks back into the flock at about 6-8 weeks and have the broody hen ditch the chicks.....her hormones are much lower at this point, and she is vigorously attempting to re-establish her own place within the flock. The chicks are fair game for all the layers.

But being as you didn't raise them in the flock, I would add a single hen to your broody and chicks, probably pulling the chicks separate. After a week, introduce the broody & hen back into the flock. Introducing a pair, is better than trying to integrate a single hen. Even though the broody hen WAS part of the flock, if she has been out of it for 8 weeks, she is no longer considered a flock member. Everyone in a flock knows the newcomer is a stranger and gives it a peck, if there are a couple of strangers, it spreads out the pecking. Have hide outs, multiple roosts, and multiple feed and water.

When the chicks become about 16 weeks old, and are bigger, nearly full grown, introduce them to the flock.

8 week old chicks that are strangers to a flock can be killed or badly injured.

Mrs K

Last edited:
the rest of the flock (which is just 3 other hens) have already seen the broody and chicks and they don't bother them because the broody has already beat up another hen. Do you think I should let them see each other more often and then let them into the flock or what

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom