when can chicks eat bread?

You could give them little bits of bread whenever you'd like as long as you provide them grit. I try to stick with soft treats like smashed boiled egg, yogurt, the inside of grapes (yes, I take the skin off), things like that. Good luck!

Thanks! I know they need grit, and that they can get it themselves when they are out during the day, but how do you provide it to chicks that live in a hutch?

I put a few scoops of dirt in a short Tupperware bowl and just plop it in. They'll be your buddies for life if you give them some dirt to bathe in and pick through!

Does it matter how young they are? I have some that are a little over a week old, ( I guess, they've only got wing feathers, and are just starting they're tail feathers) and then I have some that are 3+ weeks old.

My babies are 1 week and 2 weeks old and they already eat whatever they want. If we drop anything on the floor they are quick to gobble it up. When they go outside, they eat bugs and plants or whatever else they find. I have gotten a great deal of laughter over watching them play "keep away" with food bits that they find. :)

Yep, mine already play keep away with beetles.

I just want to use the bread as a treat to win over the skittish ones.

If it works I'll have to use that trick. Biddy absolutely loves me and will sit in my lap for hours while I pet him, but if my fiance tries to touch him or pick him up, Biddy gets really loud and runs away. Bella on the other hand loves my fiance and flops over in his hand and just lays there. Maybe if I can get my fiance to give Biddy treats, he'll come around.

Back
Top Bottom