when can chicks go in tractor?

lanaschix

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
Below is a picture of the chicken tractor we are building. It has a predator proof upper coop with a door that locks for nighttime and an attached run. The run does not have a bottom but again, they will be up top at night. We live in a predator heavy area and I think the biggest risk to the chicks would be snakes initially. How young can they go in there? They are 4 weeks and getting bored. :)

Hi! How young you send them to the tractor has a lot to do with your weather and how secure it is. At 4 weeks, the littles should stay at 75 or above. If you are in a "predator heavy" area, the chicken wire pictured will not keep your chickens safe. Hardware cloth is a better option. If snakes are a concern. the tractor pictured gives no protection. You'd need to bury hardware cloth and skirt the run as well. Best of luck.

As soon as brooder temperature is the same as outdoor temperature or your chicks are mostly feathered, and depending on where you live, I will move mine out as soon as six weeks in july. They could certainly spend nice days out there, bringing them back to the brooder at night for a few weeks, it would help them get used to it as well.

Hi,
I agree with Mutt Farm. Excellent advice. BTW,
I love the set-up you created. Lovely coop and run. Just needs a bit more
critter proofing.
Karen

Last edited:
hide.gif
Um, mine were out permanently at 5.5 weeks on April first of last year. Temps were in the 20s and it snowed. A lot. Until June 6th. They thrived. Now I raise them outside from the start. Temps in the teens and twenties. And it snows. A lot. I think it depends a lot on how good your ventilation is to allow moist, warmer air to escape and fresh air in to replace it. Humidity, ammonia, and direct drafts on them are the big boogy-men.

We live in Central Florida so no worries about temperatures. Yes, the picture is our goal. My nephew is welding the frame out of conduit. The sides will be hardware cloth, not chicken wire. The actual coop will have larger areas of hardware cloth "windows" since ventilation is key here. They will have closeable shutters over them in case of bad storms.

We live in Central Florida so no worries about temperatures. Yes, the picture is our goal. My nephew is welding the frame out of conduit. The sides will be hardware cloth, not chicken wire. The actual coop will have larger areas of hardware cloth "windows" since ventilation is key here. They will have closeable shutters over them in case of bad storms.
Nice! I really like that design. We'll wait for progress pics!

Back
Top Bottom