When can chicks go out on a field trip?

YaYasDottes

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Loveland, Ohio
My chicks are 10 days old and are suddenly flying upwards to the edge of their brooder! It's 85 degrees outside, the sky is clear, and there's a gentle breeze. Can they go outside in a pen? If so, for how long?

I think chicks should be kept around 95 degrees Fahrenheit for the first two weeks but maybe they could go out next week. You could try putting them outside and if they seem to huddle together and act cold bring them back in. Maybe only do it for a short amount of time at first to see how they handle it but if they seem to be enjoying it and don’t look cold you could let them stay a little longer.

I took mine out at about 2 weeks, but it was colder where I'm at - about 50s/60s/70s depending on the day. I think you'll be fine. Make sure they have shade since it's so warm, food and fresh, cool water. And some chick grit if there's grass, etc for them to peck at. As long as it was about 70 degrees, I left them out all day - and took them in if it did more than drizzle. They'll love it.

Today was moving day for our chicks. We got them last Friday. So they are about a week old. They moved up from the cardboard box to their home in the run. We do expect nice weather for the next week 50-80F. A plywood roof goes over the top of this brooder. The run still has the plastic winter wrap. So there should be very little draft.

Attachments

• 20200602_133745 (1).jpg
    20200602_133745 (1).jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 9
My chicks are 10 days old and are suddenly flying upwards to the edge of their brooder! It's 85 degrees outside, the sky is clear, and there's a gentle breeze. Can they go outside in a pen? If so, for how long?

They should be fine for a little bit with supervision, maybe 30-60 minutes. The heat and breeze could both be possible issues, so just watch their behavior - maybe put out a cardboard box turned on its side for shelter if they get too warm or it gets too breezy. If they like it and do well, plan on doing it every day if you can, and for longer periods of time. Good way to acclimate them to being outside.

I think chicks should be kept around 95 degrees Fahrenheit for the first two weeks

I think 95 is too hot even for newborns. A lot of us wean chicks off heat by week 3 or 4, so it'd be difficult to harden them to outdoor temperatures and increase feather production if they spent half the time at 95.

Back
Top Bottom