When can chicks have outside time?

DanJ

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
I have 10 day old chicks. At what age and temperature can I take them outside for a little supervised recess from their brooder? How long can they stay out? Any general rules of thumb?
thanks

I have read that the general rule of thumb is that when they are fully feathered they can go outside, weather permitting. In my personal experience, however, when our hens hatch chicks we just give all the authority to the hen. She tends to take them out after a week or week and a half.

Now that the weather is nice. Its about 70-75 here, I put my chicks outside while I clean their brooder out. They are only about 9 days old. I will let them play and peck at the ground for as long as they want if I have the time. As long as they are pecking and exploring instead of huddled or peeping, and as long as I'm out there, I let them have recess for anywhere between 20 min to 2 hours. I do yardwork and never leave them unsupervised though. They will let you know if they don't want to be out there and you will be able to tell if they enjoy it. If they were with their momma they would be allowed access to the outside from day 1.

Back
Top Bottom