When can chicks live outside?

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
What is the recommendation for the age at which chicks can live outside permanantly? We're in the south so nighttime temps are around 65 degrees right now. The chicks currently spend the majority of the day outside and come in to the brooder at night. Thanks.

ours are 6 weeks old, and we stuck their little butts out in the coop last week. It gets down in the 50's at night here. I keep a heat lamp on at night for them. They forage outside most of the day... They're doing great! As long as they have a heat source at night, they'll be fine.
wee.gif

gonzo&hispeeps :

ours are 6 weeks old, and we stuck their little butts out in the coop last week. It gets down in the 50's at night here. I keep a heat lamp on at night for them. They forage outside most of the day... They're doing great! As long as they have a heat source at night, they'll be fine.
wee.gif

This is helpful. My chicks are about one week younger than yours and I was planning on putting them out next week.​

I put mine out at about 6-7 weeks with no heat lamp....they where really well feathered and we had some warm weather here (washington state) and they did just fine...we have had weather in upper 60's for high and mid 50's for low for a couple of day's and they are just fine at 8/9 weeks....

Back
Top Bottom