when can chicks mix with other hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pattianne, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Pattianne

Pattianne New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Hi can anyone help I am a new, and numpty back yard chicken keeper. I have a hen with 5 3week old chicks and another 3 hens which I have kept apart. I let them all out together for the first time yesterday, for a little while and there wasnt any problems but i didn't leave them unattended. When can they safely all go back together permanatly, unattended and roost together at night. I moved the 3 hens out of their home into temporary accomodation once the chicks were born but would like to get them all back in their original coop as soon as possible.

2. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I have several girls who have chicks. One with 1 weekers, one with 2 weekers and one with babies that are 3 weeks old. I also have older chicks that are 2 months and 3 months old. I have never separated nesting hens from the general population. When the chicks were hatched they protect them and take them out to free range every day and back inside at night. My roos stand guard at times also. I actually have seen one of my mamas (a bantam cochin) jump a squirrel that got too close.

This is the way my mother and grandmother did it and it works for me. I have segregated chicks that I have bought until they were older since they did not have the protection of mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by