When can chicks switch to layer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tracyree, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Do I need to wait until they start to lay? I have 4 pullets going into lay now, but I have three younger ones that are 16 weeks. Too young for layer?

Will it be just as good for my layers to stay on grower but offer oyster shell?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    What I do is, I switch them to the layer feed at around 17 weeks of age, give or take a few weeks....It kind of depends on when I run out of the starter/grower feed...If it's close to the 17 weeks, then I just switch when I'm ready to buy a new bag of feed.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

When they become Layers, that's why they call it Layer feed.
    If you offer shells on the side, there' no pressure to change from Grower, but you can, at your convenience.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    Should be fine to put them all on layer - just switched mine over at 20 weeks, only because that is when I ran out of grower, would have been fine to have done it a little earlier.

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    sorry to grab on to this thread, but I was going to ask a similar question- mine are 6 weeks and my first 25lb medicated chick starter crumbles is gone, should I keep them on that and if so for how long? Seems to me when I visited the feed store the guy mentioned I would be changing their feed at around 8 weeks so something else..

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:You have three more months, on average, before layer feed. Continue with Starter, or Grower, or Raiser. Long way to go. The high calcium ground into layer feed is to provide a laying hen calcium. But, that high level of calcium is potentially troublesome to a young, developing bird.

7. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    So glad you asked this! I got my first egg today, and it's almost time to buy a new bag of feed, so I was going to buy layer, even though only one is laying right now. I wasn't sure if I was jumping the gun or not. Wondering if only one or two start laying now, and some wait until the spring to start (shorter days now), will the ones not laying be okay on the layer?? Or should I continue to just offer raiser, and have oyster shells on the side? And if we are feeding layer, do we also need to offer oyster shells?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by