When can ducklings get there first wash or bath and learn to swim?

Just wondering when they can swim or be washe supervised of course?

When I first hatched ducklings in an incubator, I waited until they were about two weeks old before I let them swim - supervised as you mentioned - in a shallow paint roller tray. They were able to stand in it at all times. I only let them swim for a few minutes and then dried them off before they went back in the brooder.

One of my ducks hatched a clutch last summer. Since it was warm out, I put a large, very shallow dish (it was the "drip tray" part of a horrible self-waterer) with about an inch and a half of water in it in the broody's run when the ducklings were only a few days old. They had a great time and hopped in and out as they desired. Mom had a much taller tub that only she could get into (it was a concrete mixing tub from a home improvement store). The babies grew quickly. One day, I noticed that a duckling had somehow gotten into Mom's tub and was barely swimming around...I fished him out and he was just fine, but it was a scare. Mom's tub was removed and it didn't return until all the ducklings were large enough to get in and out on their own.

Short answer: they can splash around in a very shallow pan for a few minutes when they're just days old (supervised only, of course). I'd stick to indoors only while they're still downy so they don't get chilled.

When I first hatched ducklings in an incubator, I waited until they were about two weeks old before I let them swim - supervised as you mentioned - in a shallow paint roller tray. They were able to stand in it at all times. I only let them swim for a few minutes and then dried them off before they went back in the brooder.

One of my ducks hatched a clutch last summer. Since it was warm out, I put a large, very shallow dish (it was the "drip tray" part of a horrible self-waterer) with about an inch and a half of water in it in the broody's run when the ducklings were only a few days old. They had a great time and hopped in and out as they desired. Mom had a much taller tub that only she could get into (it was a concrete mixing tub from a home improvement store). The babies grew quickly. One day, I noticed that a duckling had somehow gotten into Mom's tub and was barely swimming around...I fished him out and he was just fine, but it was a scare. Mom's tub was removed and it didn't return until all the ducklings were large enough to get in and out on their own.

Short answer: they can splash around in a very shallow pan for a few minutes when they're just days old (supervised only, of course). I'd stick to indoors only while they're still downy so they don't get chilled.
Thankyou for the very helpful tips I'll make sure to do just that!

Thankyou for the very helpful tips I'll make sure to do just that!
YVW.
smile.png

I let mine settle in for a day unless they are gross and need a bath. So usually a couple of days old and they are given short supervised swim times. I give water that is deep enough to truly swim and dive from the start and either give them something to get them out of the water or just do short swims and scoop them out when they let me know they are done.

I have always put mine in at around 2 or 3 days old. Never deep water at first...I put them in my bath tub and they love it.....only for about 10 minutes each bath....I the dry them with a tow land put back into the brooder to dry and take a nap.....

Enjoy those Duckies!!!

Just a heads up, drying off ducklings with a blow dryer is one of the best things ever.
I dont want to sound rude at all, but I disagree. I think its better if you put them back in the brooder under the heat lamp, and let em dry off themselves. It helps spread the oils over their down, so they can swim better. Normally, mom would do it for them, with her oils as well as theirs, and thats how ducklings in the wild can swim so well so young. But if all that doesnt matter to you, thats ok

Letting them swim from an early age is good for them. It speeds up feather and oil gland development. And I think everyone can agree that swimming ducklings is one of the cutest things to watch. I started mine in a bathroom sink at 3 days old. Each day they got to stay in the water a little longer (most days they got to swim 2-3 times a day) and they eventually moved up to the bathtub. Just something to add that I don't think was mentioned yet, make sure the water is warm. Not too hot but not cold either.

Back
Top Bottom