When can ducklings go on a big pond?

ging3rhoffman

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
I have 6 mallard ducklings that are one week old. How soon can they go on the pond? I have a goose/duck house that I would put them in a couple of days before they are released so they know where to get feed. I just didnt want them to get eaten or killed so I wanted to make sure they were big enough. Thanks

It will be a HUGE gamble at that age!
I wouldn't let them go on the pond until much older, bigger and fully feathered.
They can drowned and get too chilled at one week too.
Why risk it? Give them a dish of water to play in.
You might find my tips for raising waterfowl page on my website helpful.

At 6 weeks they will be completely feathered out. That would be the absolute earliest I would let them lose on a big pond. They are mature at 6 months. Depending on your potential predator situation, any time between those ages. (I know, pretty vague, huh?)

Yep, I would agree with 6 weeks. I just let mine into a kiddie pool and they are lovin' life! See youtube on my website!

we started out by giving ours a small shallow plate, then moved up to a pie plate, then a shallow tub.. then a baby pool from walmart for like $8.

and yes they really get chilled quickly. i made that mistake and ended up snuggling one of ours for a while until she got warm..... ok the snuggling was the good part and yes her momma took her right under her wing

:)

Quote:
Great web site. I really lik your Pool. Where did you find that?

Thanks! It is actually a Little Tikes sandbox that I found for FREE on Craigslist! Got the LT house with it, free. Couldn't even believe it!!

Quote:
Last year when I got mine, I bought one of those $3 swimming pools at Wal-Mart..

Of course that was when it was warm enough outside for them to play in the sun. They had a ball..

I let mine on the pond after a month I believe it was..

Back
Top Bottom