When can ducks go outside?

I have given them red romaine, dandelion greens, green peas and kale. The cabbage was what I had growing in my garden, and I always have a surplus of it. I'm assuming that brocoli wouldn't be a good idea. I was thinking of taking raw veggies from my garden and fridge, grinding them in the food processor, then freezing them and putting it in ziploc bags so I always have "treats" on hand for them and I use up stuff that would otherwise rot in my fridge. My dogs eat it too, you'd think it was meat.

Mine are a week old and in the coop with a heat lamp at night. We are in the 40s and 50s at night and 60-80 during the day. At first, I had the heat lamp to near and they got hot and couldn't stop scratching. After it cooled off, they quit scratching. My husband just had a heart transplant, so the dog and cats are enough in the house. Besides, I agree, ducks and chickens and geese, oh my, belong outside. That said, not everyone has accommodations. Yet, when my husband brought home our first chicks, I was adamant they would not stay unless he provided appropriate housing. Thus, we have a pretty nice coop, as stinky old coops go.

Last edited:
We moved our ducks outside, during the daytime and brought them back in at night, at 1 week old and fully moved them outside at 3 weeks
cool.png

But it was the middle of summer and like 105° during the day....

Mine have gone outside into a secure run with shed attached last week in a temperate British Summer. They were about 3 1/2 weeks and they've thrived out there. They have a paddling pool as well.

Have to add though that from 2 days they had supervised water play and grazing on the front lawn daily unless the weather was awful. I took them in as soon as they looked like they might be getting cold but increased the time each day. I also took them off heat in the house at 2 weeks as they were avoiding it.

I don't know if doing those things increases their hardiness but it has worked for me so far.

My Indian runner ducks are 6 weeks old, at 5 weeks I took them out of the barn now I keep them in the chicken coop with a heat light, there is plenty of space for them to move around and play. They sleep under the heat of the lights but spend most of their day away from the light. Temps here for the past week have been 5 degrees during the day and 0 at night. But much warmer under the light of corse . They are eating and drinking fine and still growing. The only issue they might have right now is the noise of the chickens. They are not familiar with noisy roosters or chickens yet.

My Indian runner ducks are 6 weeks old, at 5 weeks I took them out of the barn now I keep them in the chicken coop with a heat light, there is plenty of space for them to move around and play. They sleep under the heat of the lights but spend most of their day away from the light. Temps here for the past week have been 5 degrees during the day and 0 at night. But much warmer under the light of corse . They are eating and drinking fine and still growing. The only issue they might have right now is the noise of the chickens. They are not familiar with noisy roosters or chickens yet.
I should note that they are separated from the chickens by a chicken wire barrier :)

IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
I should note that they are separated from the chickens by a chicken wire barrier :)
Yes because I had my chickens peck my little duck do death I got rid the chickens it started with 4 chicks and 2 ducks. After I found EGO dead the day after we got him chickens had suffocated and pecked him he was runt , I kept the other duck WAFFLE and got 2 ducks for company to WAFFLE. I was brand new to this lifestyle , pet purpose only , a friend dumped on me during Easter season. I became obsessed and felt obbligated to keep them alive and giv e the best life I Could to them , so now they big healthy . I think because sounds very cold where you are to keep near heat lamp but their animals they love the elements!!!!and are equipped for them just keep them monitored but let them start going outside a little to adapt to environment. I hear some people keep inside until big I let mine out , but I sit with.

Boy your still cold what part of the world are you in? and :welcome

My
What temperature does it need to be outside before the move? Im planning on putting them in their own stall in the barn until they get big enough to run with the other ducks.
Khaki ducklings were 5 weeks when I let them outside supervised during the day. It was about 50°. At 7 weeks when they had all of their feathers, I left them outside in the "quack shack" overnight ( a 10x10 outside dog pen with a roof) with extra warm bedding in a large dog crate and tarps over the sides of the pen to break the wind. It was as low as 30. They did fine. I kept them separated from my adult pekins at first, but now they are all friends and sleep together in the adult nesting area. Last night was 28° and when i last checked on them- they werent even in the crate but sitting by the doorway(the coldest spot because it has no covering). Despite my constant checking on them since they were out at night, they didn' seem to mind the temperature at all. They are happy and healthy little ducklings
I know most people wait longer to put them outside and pennsylvania is not known for a decent spring, but I was not able to tolerate the smell, mess, and constant cleaning any more. I trialed it and checked on them frequently throughout the night to make sure they were ok and thankfully it worked out for me!

My

Khaki ducklings were 5 weeks when I let them outside supervised during the day. It was about 50°. At 7 weeks when they had all of their feathers, I left them outside in the "quack shack" overnight ( a 10x10 outside dog pen with a roof) with extra warm bedding in a large dog crate and tarps over the sides of the pen to break the wind. It was as low as 30. They did fine. I kept them separated from my adult pekins at first, but now they are all friends and sleep together in the adult nesting area. Last night was 28° and when i last checked on them- they werent even in the crate but sitting by the doorway(the coldest spot because it has no covering). Despite my constant checking on them since they were out at night, they didn' seem to mind the temperature at all. They are happy and healthy little ducklings
I know most people wait longer to put them outside and pennsylvania is not known for a decent spring, but I was not able to tolerate the smell, mess, and constant cleaning any more. I trialed it and checked on them frequently throughout the night to make sure they were ok and thankfully it worked out for me!
What did you use for bedding in their outside house? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom