When can I can i start eating the eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken gal, Nov 10, 2012.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    My pearl white started laying just 'till yesterday.[​IMG] But I'm wondering when I should start eating the eggs. When did you start eating them? I just don't want to start eationg them to early and throwing up or anything like that. I could really use some help. Also when do eggs expire? Bye for now!!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Eat the eggs!! [​IMG] You can eat the very first one laid. Eggs last quite a while, but mine don't last long enough to worry about before I eat them..

3. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Ok. But are you sure it's ok to eat the first one. This is the first batch of chickens I have ever had. Thanks!!

4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Not a problem in the world about eating the very first egg. Eggs are living things and will keep several weeks.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Agree, we have eaten everyone of our girls' first eggs. In fact the first one was gently fried in butter and cut into 4's and shared by the kids and my husband and I!

So, eat it and be happy, I promise, no puking!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  6. happyhomemom

happyhomemom Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012

We shared our first egg with all the kids too! Eat away and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

7. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Hey guys thanks for the advice. That help so much. What breeds of chickens do you have? Just wanted to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by