When can I change up their food's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kaybug137, May 30, 2012.

1. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Songster

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    My oldest chicken's are a month old, had got them April 11th and 13th, When do I change them off to Chick Grower? Also, when does their peeping turn to clucking?? lol Been curious about that.

2. linkedsilas

linkedsilas In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    So you have chick grower and not chick starter?
    What brand is the food? It usually has it written on the bag although not everyone feeds it that way. Also it depends on the type of chicken you have. Being broilers versus egg layers.My chicks are on starter and will be on it for 4 months, but they are egg layers. Usually broilers are a shorter span and can get a different food.Mine were hatched in the beginning of March and they are still peeping.

3. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Songster

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    No, they're on chick starter was wondering when I change them to chick grower, and I get their food at Acco Feeds they usually break the foods down in little brown bags, the bag I got today says Nutrena I think I'll have to recheck it. Feels like yesterday that I got them, they're getting big and getting out of their box lol.

4. linkedsilas

linkedsilas In the Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Durham,NC
    i think grower is for 8 weeks

5. Well, I'm a first timer here, but my experience with the peeping/clucking change (Barred Rocks and Black Australorps) was that that change occurred at about 12-13 weeks.

6. cva34

cva34 Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    My thoughts are peeping tell like above said 12/13 they start makeing cackling /crowing noises.Clucking to me is the noises a BROODY makes (way back we called it CLUCKING or SETTING HEN) and I doubt you will see it this year probably next.Its not something that young hems do tell they get a little older...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: