When can I combine my two flocks?

Ckn woman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
I bought some baby chicks going on three weeks ago from TSC. They are S/R So I have no idea what sex. We placed them outside in their highly secure pen and they are so much more happier. Now i just bought some pullets 3 days ago and we have them inside the house, but I was wondering when to combine the two flocks and how that would work?
Thanks

You can try putting them all together. I combined my day olds with my 3 week olds without a problem, but you would want to watch very close to make sure the older ones aren't picking on the little ones.

I don't know what your secure pen is like. Is it enclosed? Brooder like? Does it have a heat light in it?

If you are moving them together and you have day olds, it needs to be a brooder like setting.

I am not sure when it would be safe to integrate them if you are waiting. At what age do the little ones become big enough and the bigger ones not too big? Not sure.

I just put 3 three week RIR's with my 5 week olds last Thursday and they are all doing great, I didn't notice any picking except by my EE so I moved him to another pen and things are going well.
fl.gif
I figure if there was going to be problems there would of been some by now.

Back
Top Bottom