When can I give chicks dandelions and such?

amijab

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Just wondering when I can give clumps of grass and dandelions to the chicks? They are three days old and in an indoor brooder. Just looking for things to entertain.

I give access to the outdoor world starting at a week old. I'm not sure what the "right" age is but have heard from folks here that taking a little scoop of dirt/weeds/grass and putting it in upside down so they can pick through the roots is beneficial to chicks housed indoors. They'll probably avoid it for a few days yet but a mama hen takes them off the nest around 3 days. I only wait because I need them to return to the shelter and locking them in a few days enforces that they eat, drink, and sleep there.

As soon as they are eating well, filling their crops with their crumble, I start them on a clump of sod, or a dish of soil from my untreated yard. I am also a fan of fermented feed. Early is good for exposure to soil as it takes advantage of the 2 week window of opportunity when they have the most antibodies inherited from their mother. Be sure they have access to grit: most soil has acceptable stones they can use. And leave the blades of grass attached to the roots.

I used a post hole digger and took a clump of dirt and grass and put it in the brooder starting at a few weeks. They loved it. Picked it dry by the next day everytime.

Back
Top Bottom