When can I integrate my younger chicks with the older ones?

atterac

Hatching
6 Years
May 3, 2013
I have 8 chicks- mix of roo's & hens that are about 5-6 weeks old. We just got 5 more hens that are 2 days old. I was hoping to put them all together in the coop with heat lamp when the babies are 4-6 weeks. They will likely outgrow their current brooder at that point.
Any suggestions would be helpful!
Nicole

I am curious to see what responses you get as well because I am fixing to be in the same situation!

Hi Atterac,

I generally begin to incorporate my age groups slowly - watching their behavior. From what I have seen, it isn't so much the age but the size and aggression that matters. You don't want larger chickens picking on smaller ones. I have some orpingtons that are only 8 weeks old that are aggressive enough to run right up to a grown Rhode Island Red hen and pick a fight with her. Mind you, they don't win, but you don't want anyone hurt as pecking order is established. I've done some experimenting and have found that if I keep my sizes about the same, I usually avoid fighting.

Thank you! The first batch of chicks were varied in size, but they all seem to be holding their own okay. The bigger birds are currently about pigeon size & our newest babies are teeny- so it won't be for a little while. I guess if we integrate while supervised at first that would be the best bet!

Sorry to jump on a thread but I am going to habe a similar problem, I have 5 Loham browns that are around 18 months, I have just got 2 3 week old legbars and 1 4 week old lavender pekin, my lavender is not ever gona be the same size as she is a bantam, so how would I introduce her?

Back
Top Bottom