When can I integrate the younger chicks?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I made the mistake of letting a staggered hatch happen, not realizing that one of the mama hens will want to kill the other mama hen's chicks. I currently have the mama with the younger chicks separated from the rest of the flock because the other mama hen seemed like she wanted to kill them. When can I start integrating the younger chicks? Should I wait the full eight weeks? The youngest one is currently one week old tomorrow and the other hen's chicks are going to be three weeks old soon.

What does your run/coop look like? Post some pictures. I am of the side that sooner is better, but more space and hideouts trumps that.

When you separate flocks, you do interfere with flock dynamics. The 3 week broody hen's hormones will be falling (says the woman that has a chick and hen stick together like glue at 8 weeks) so that might make her less aggressive toward the 1 week broody hen - whose hormones should be high.

However, the space and clutter in the run so that a hen can successfully defend her chicks is of paramount importance - so what do you have?

Mrs K

What does your run/coop look like? Post some pictures. I am of the side that sooner is better, but more space and hideouts trumps that.

When you separate flocks, you do interfere with flock dynamics. The 3 week broody hen's hormones will be falling (says the woman that has a chick and hen stick together like glue at 8 weeks) so that might make her less aggressive toward the 1 week broody hen - whose hormones should be high.

However, the space and clutter in the run so that a hen can successfully defend her chicks is of paramount importance - so what do you have?

Mrs K
We sectioned off more than half our yard for them and let them free range. They go in the bigger coop behind the pop up tent at night. Right next to it, the red dog house is where the other mama hen and her younger hens are. I covered it so they could have the place in peace to themselves. There are plenty of places to hide if they have to. The mama of the younger chicks will fight and defend them but sometimes she gets distracted and I've seen the little chicks defenseless around the other mama hen and I had to step in once.

Attachments

• PXL_20230717_190607709.jpg
    PXL_20230717_190607709.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Are these two mama's, and their chicks, the only chickens you have?
No, I have other chickens. 1 rooster and 4 other hens. The other chickens don't pay much attention to the chicks. The most I've seen them do is peck at them once or try and scare them but they didn't try to harm to them.

Back
Top Bottom