When can I let them...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksinthemachine, Aug 23, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    free range again? We have some that are getting ready to lay and I was wandering if they haven't had them by mid-day if it was okay to let them out of the run?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I just let mine out and they go back to the coop to lay. When they are done, they come back out and join the group. But with new layers, I wouldn't let them free range until they know for certain where they are supposed to lay.

3. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    I just let mine out in the morning before i go to school and at night the come in to roost so i shut the door. And they should come in to lay all mine do except when the first start laying they will lay any where i would take a easter egg or golf ball and put it in their nest so they no where to lay.

4. Chickenrox

Chickenrox New Egg

Aug 22, 2008
    I also put some fake eggs in their nest. Every once in a while I catch one of my hens sitting on a faky.
    I let mine range in the morning but if one feels an egg "coming on" it will stay in the nest. Be carefull, I stepped on my very fist-long awaited egg because they hadn't figured out what the nests were for yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by