When can I mix two groups?

ChickPeas

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Iron Station, NC
I have 2 one week old bantam cochins and 10 new babies that are in a seperate brooder from the cochins. Eventually I'd like to put them together.

When do you think would be the best time to do that?
I got the new group of 10 today (4 bantam silver duckwings, 2 black australorps, 2 buff orp's, 2 new hampshire reds) so of course I don't want to mix them this soon.

Any suggestions? Also, when can the babie eat something a little different...like a blade of grass or a bug or something. Can they have treats?

Thanks!
Liz
Iron Station, NC

With only 1 week difference and the older ones being bantam they should get along just fine. (notice i said should). The older they get the harder it will be.
I would start with short supervised visits and see how it goes.
If all goes well then gradually integrate the bantams into living with the new flock.

BA

I combine chick hatches that occur within a week or two into the same brooder without any problems. I would recommend the sooner the better. Good luck with your babies.

Jody

Thank you thank you thank you!
smile.png
Eventually I'll get the hang of this and not need to ask so many questions! Hopefully I'll be able to help someone out the way you guys have all helped me once I get some experience under my belt.

I'll try mixing them for a bit today and see how they do. Or maybe wait until tomorrow since I just got the second group yesterday...maybe give them enough time to acclimate and de-stress first.

I'd wait a day or two for them to recover from their journey and then mix them asap after that. The big girls will bully the others a little at first, but soon they will all be one happy family
smile.png
I've done this several times and it has always gone fine
smile.png

5 weeks apart would depend on their actual ages? A day old with 5 week old chicks will not work well IMO. Older groups merged can work out if they are introduced to a completely new environment. Meaning both groups join the brooder/coop at the same time (and neither group is familiar with it). There will be some fuss, but they work it out quickly. Altho..if there are a lot of cockerels that may not go so well. As with any types of merges, I would recommend monitoring them closely to be sure everyone is doing ok.

I have one roo with 7 hens now in the coop. 4 of the week olds are all females. I was going to put the week olds in an adjoining cage when it warms up say June. I was hoping they would get used to each other in about a week so I could put them in the coop and free range together. I hope this will work. Let me know if I am leaning in the right direction. John

now i am really concerned, i have hens that are about 10 months old, and i want some new chicks, there are 6 ten months and i am thinking of getting about 3 or so chicks,

will they eventually get along? or should i divide the coop/ run?

do certain breeds get along better with each other?

Back
Top Bottom