1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When Can I Move My Chicks Outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Astrid, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    I mean I love them and all, but I also love my dining room table!

They are three weeks old, and I live in Connecticut. Day temps are in the 80's and nights go down to the 60's. We have a secure indoor coop, with a "kindergarten" section away from our three adult hens, and have access to a separate outdoor run. We also have a hanging heat lamp and a roost in there.

Do we have to wait until they're fully feathered out? Or can we do it sooner? I think they're getting on each others' nerves. We have them in a double-sized rubbermaid tote-- we started them in one, and then got another, cut the sides out and taped them together so it's double-sized.

Any thoughts? We've always had pullets before; never babies from a hatchery. (We used Meyers and were THRILLED with their customer service!)

astrid

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Put them out there for a couple hours and see how they do [​IMG]

...after all, that is how they are raised all natural [​IMG]

3. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Quote:Thats what I did. I slowly integrated my pampered A/C'd chickens outside by slowly introducing them to the outside. Best off when the temps are good like this. One batch I did when it was cold outside... which they were fine but I had to nightly turn on a lamp for them. Your temps sound great [​IMG]

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    They should be feathered out soon. Until then, maybe put them out duing the day and back into the brooder at night. I put my silkies I got in Nov outside in Decenber when they were about 5 weeks old though, and they did fine, so you might not even need to bring them in at night.

5. countrycluckerskaren

countrycluckerskaren Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    wait until they are feathered out.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With those temps I think they would be fine outside as long as they had a low wattage heat lamp if any got cold at night. Make sure they are safe, say in a secure coop or cage with hardware cloth because you don't want a rat,weasel, possum, or raccoon to get at them.

7. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    You can put them out, at least during the day. Nighttime would be ok, too, but you might want to get them a heat lamp. Bok.

8. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I put my 4 out at 4 weeks. Gave them a heat lamp at night for the first week then nothing. I don't think they needed it either. they stayed away from it the most part

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by